Weekly Attendance: Santa Rosa (900); Bayside All Campuses (19,000)
Denomination: Evangelical Covenant
Location: Santa Rosa, California
About the Organization:
Pastor Ray Johnston planted Bayside in 1995 and has led the church to become one of the largest, fastest growing, and healthiest churches in the country. Bayside is the largest church in the Sacramento metropolitan area and is affiliated with the Evangelical Covenant Church. The church has grown to over 19,000 with much of the growth happening in the past few years. Every weekend there are 22 services to choose from at seven campuses. The original campus is located in Roseville, California, which also hosts a video café. The additional campuses are in Folsom, Roseville (Blue Oaks and Adventure), Davis, and Sacramento (Midtown). The seventh campus, and newest, is the result of a merger with Redwood Covenant Church in Santa Rosa, California--about two hours to the west of Sacramento.
There are scores of ministries and programs for all ages in all phases of life, but it all comes back to their focus on just three priorities: Reach Wide, Grow Deep, and Unleash Compassion. Everything Bayside does can be connected to one of these three values.
The Bayside culture is engaging, fast-paced, and yet full of oxymoron’s: there is a strong vision and leader, and yet a culture of humility and mutual submission. It is one of the fastest growing churches in the country, and yet they are the first to admit they haven’t figured it all out. They are organized and systematic in some ways, yet, organic in others. There is a real sense of strategy and intentionality, and an entrepreneurial vibe of ‘building the plane while flying.’
The Santa Rosa campus is in a community that is more than 96% unchurched. There are few thriving churches in the city, which provides an amazing opportunity for Bayside Santa Rosa to reach a largely unreached community.
We believe Bayside is on the edge of exponential growth and even greater impact in their community and across the world. This is a significant role and amazing opportunity for a high level leader and communicator who would like to buckle in and go along for the ride.
About the Position:
With solid growth, a tremendous team, and healthy culture, Bayside Church is as strong as it has ever been. For more than a year, they have been working with Redwood Covenant Church to bring strength and stability and evangelistic focus to this once thriving church. Just in the past year, Bayside Santa Rosa has grown by more than 400 in weekly attendance.
This position is a fantastic opportunity for a ‘top dog’ leader with a towering communication gift to be the first Senior Campus Pastor for Bayside Santa Rosa. Unlike most senior pastors, this individual will be surrounded by the strength of other high capacity leaders in the Bayside movement.
What We Are Searching For / Qualifications:
Candidates will need a biblical foundation and ability to rightly divide the word of truth. Where this education came from might vary from candidate to candidate.
Experience & Skills
- Prior experience in a lead ministry role with proven communication skills.
- The natural ability to collaborate and work within a team setting.
- Ability to multitask.
- An ability to live a faith based life out in a way that connects with church leaders, and is contagious to both believers and non-believers.
- The ability to build teams of people stronger and smarter than themselves.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a high functioning, high capacity team.
- An ability to lead conversations and drive results.
- Demonstrate a high level of integrity, guided by a sound set of ethical principles.
- An entrepreneurial self-starter who naturally seeks out new ways to grow an organization.
- A chemistry that fits with the Bayside Church culture.
- Capability to create, foster and maintain strong teams.
- A proven track record of building and expanding a ministry or organization.
- An effective team leader who can inspire others to work together to achieve organizational excellence.
- A keen ability to create new ideas and bring new ideas to fruition.
- An ability to integrate into an existing system and offer creative improvements without disrupting an already flourishing system.
- Proven skills that foster trust, fairness and teamwork among staff, members, and volunteers, and a common focus on excellence in all areas.
- A humility evidenced in your walk and life.
- Known to be flexible.
- Thrives in an environment fast-paced, high-energy, risk-taking, exciting and fun
- Can tolerate and even soar in the midst of ambiguity.
- Doesn’t need everything figured out before the race begins.
- Growing personal relationship with God.
- Exhibit a godly lifestyle.
- Loyal to the vision of Bayside.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Great communicator / teacher
- Proven leadership ability.
About the Location:
Beautiful Santa Rosa, CA is a picturesque gateway to the Pacific Ocean, west of Sacramento and the Sierra Mountains. There is tremendous diversity in the landscape with the best of both the mountain fresh air and the cool temps and peacefulness of the ocean. Rich in history and with various recreational choices, there is something for everyone.
Santa Rosa is located in Sonoma County, and is best known and loved for its wineries. For the historian or kid at heart, The Charles M. Schulz Museum and Research Center is a fun afternoon visit dedicated to the famed "Peanuts" cartoonist. Nearby, hands-on exhibits at the Children’s Museum of Sonoma County include a mini train station. Big-name musicians perform at the Luther Burbank Center for the Arts. To the east, trail-lined Annadel State Park features wildflowers and a lake. It’s consistently been named one of Forbes Best Places for Business and Careers.
Sonoma County has more than 425 wineries, miles of rugged Pacific coastline, towering redwood forests, and is just a short drive from San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge. Sonoma County is a traveler’s dream vacation spot in California because it represents the best of Northern California — premium wine, farm-to-table dining, unique resorts and spas, and over 50 state and regional parks. Breathtaking Highway 1 delights visitors with crashing waves, sea lions and otters sunning on the beaches, and fantastic sunsets that color the sky in brilliant hues. Tasting rooms and wineries in the world-class Sonoma wine region range from simple and rustic to elaborate wine castles.
After the devastating fires in Northern California in October of 2017, many areas of California affected are still recovering. The residential areas, particularly in Santa Rosa, are still fighting to rebuild. The raging, freeway-jumping fires destroyed more than 5,000 houses in Sonoma County, which accounts for five percent of all the housing in Santa Rosa.
This tragedy has given the church an opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus as it seeks to meet needs. Bayside Church put their recent plans for expanding campuses and launching community initiatives on hold so they could focus on helping families in Santa Rosa. In one weekend, they raised more than $600,000 to help meet the needs of families who were devastated by the fires.
The next Senior Pastor at the Santa Rosa Campus will have an opportunity to lead a people who are committed to their community, and who seek to meet needs and make an impact.
Interested in this job? Become a candidate here.