Weekly attendance: 1,500
Neighborhood: Nashville, Tennessee
The role: As the spiritual leader of Christ Church Nashville, a spirit-filled, multi-cultural, interdenominational congregation with a history rich in opening the soul to the presence of God, the senior pastor is responsible for discerning and developing vision, shepherding the staff and congregation, preaching and teaching biblical truths, linking the local church with the broader Christian world, and representing the church before the local community.
Meet Christ Church Nashville:
Christ Church Nashville is a diverse congregation across vocations, cultures, generations, and socioeconomic status seeking to embody what it looks like when Nashville submits to Jesus, regardless of tongue, tribe, or nation. They identify with and incorporate the three streams of Christianity—liturgical, evangelical, and charismatic—as a unified expression of their devotional and missional life.
About the Senior Pastor:
The Senior Pastor at Christ Church Nashville will hold a primarily spiritual office, demonstrating godly character, competence and knowledge of Scripture, and biblical truth in preaching, teaching, and shepherding. The Senior Pastor will be the primary leader of the congregation, influencing the church’s vision, ethics, and culture.
The Senior Pastor will:
- provide spiritual and pastoral leadership to the staff and congregation of Christ Church Nashville.
- seek the Holy Spirit actively.
- desire the church to grow in every way, including membership growth.
- pursue excellence in all areas.
- be attentive and intentional to address those, inside and outside the church, who are investigating the Christian faith.
- promote and communicate the standard of biblical stewardship and, with a team of leaders, work toward growing finances through the restructuring of debt and steadily paying off the debt.
- inspire and lead the church toward growth of ministries both on Sundays and throughout the week.
- represent the congregation in the broader community by attending gatherings of community leaders and participating in civic life.
What you bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Senior Pastor:
Demonstration of the value for education and lifelong learning is a required proficiency. Each candidate’s specific educational background will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Specific study in theology, ministry practice, or a similarly relevant field is strongly preferred.
The ideal candidate for this role will have diverse experience with a range of churches and a vision for the church, with an ability to lead. The ideal candidate will likely have at least ten years of ministry experience, training, or Senior Pastor experience.The candidate for Senior Pastor must also be ordained, or willing to be ordained, by a legally recognized Christian body known for fidelity to Christian orthodoxy and for integrity in theological, moral, and ethical matters.
- A lifestyle that demonstrates obedience to Christ’s teachings; consistent spiritual and biblically-moral character on and off the platform
- A pastoral/shepherd heart
- A strong faith and commitment to personal spiritual growth
- An authentic and genuine personality
- A passion for leading and experiencing life with a diverse congregation
- An enthusiasm to lead generosity campaigns, fundraising, and stewardship conversations
- A heart for people
- An equipper
- A vision-caster
- A discipler
What it's like to live in Nashville, Tennessee:
Nashville is a booming city that is a cradle for dreamers, entrepreneurs, and growth. In addition to being known as the center for music culture, Nashville is a city that inspires creativity and innovation in almost every aspect of its community. The city offers amenities of larger cities with great shopping, restaurants, and a world-class airport, as well as prominent places like the Grand Ole Opry, Music Row, The Bluebird Café, and Opryland Hotel. These locations draw millions to the city on a regular basis. With a population of just over 1.6 million people, Nashville is the capital of Tennessee and home to dozens of higher education institutions, including Belmont University, Fisk University, Meharry Medical College, and Vanderbilt University.
Nashville is a model of the American “melting pot,” with diversity being a key component of its past, present, and future. In the last several years, Nashville has been growing at a significant rate, adding many new members to its vibrant community from other states and nations, enriching the diverse fabric of the city. Forbes ranks Nashville number seven on its 2018 list of fastest-growing cities in the United States.
What sets Nashville apart as a great place to live and raise a family are its outstanding quality of life, solid education, famous southern hospitality, diverse population, abundant leisure activities, temperate climate, and the country-cosmopolitan vibe.
Think you're a great fit for this job? Become a candidate here.