Weekly attendance: 1250
Neighborhood: West Chester, Pennsylvania
The role: The Director of Worship has the important privilege and weighty task of bringing people into the presence of God. This happens primarily on a Sunday morning, where this person’s leadership and musical ability combine with the giftedness of others, under the power of the Holy Spirit, moving the people in the congregation toward an experience with God.
Meet Christ Community Church:
Christ Community Church in West Chester, Pennsylvania, has a rich history and a bright future, as they add a Director of Worship to their team to continue growing and bringing more people to know Christ through intentional, gospel-centered worship.
Christ Community Church began in 1984, when ten couples from Church of the Savior in Wayne, Pennsylvania, joined Pastor Jim Stevens to start a church. Their first meetings were held in a 7th Day Adventist church building, then grew to a middle school, then bought land in 1990 and built their own building. Since then, they’ve continued to thrive and grow. Current Lead Pastor, Billy Burch, who has led since 2012, has been with the church since nearly the beginning, starting as the Student Pastor in the early 1990s.
About The Director of Worship:
The Director of Worship has the important privilege and weighty task of bringing people into the presence of God. This happens primarily on a Sunday morning, where this person’s leadership and musical ability combine with the giftedness of others, under the power of the Holy Spirit, moving the people in the congregation toward an experience with God. Other venues, including holidays and special events which require elements of worship and music, will also fall under this role.
This person will work with teams of musicians, tech crews, creative arts teams, and the Lead Pastor to foster a deeper love and appreciation for our great God. Intentional, truthful, and creative inspiration through songs and other artistic elements are within the purview of the Worship Director.
The Director of Worship will:
- Maintain your personal worship by growing in your walk with Jesus
- Shepherd those on your team toward growth in Jesus
- Plan an engaging worship service in coordination with Lead Pastor
- Weave all the elements of the worship service together ensuring cultural appropriateness and theological accuracy
- Recruit musicians and artists, and instill in them a bigger vision for their artistic gifts
- Build relationships and contacts with local musicians, clubs, and studios for evangelistic and staffing purposes
- Oversee a Creative Arts Team
- Establish a culture of timeliness and excellence within the Worship Ministry
- Choose relevant and current songs and styles of worship
- Keep expansion and innovation values in the worship service
- Maintain a vibrant personal prayer life
What you bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Director of Worship:
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in a worship related field or equivalent experience.
Several years of experience in leading current contemporary worship in a church of our size or larger. Has shown they can lead and engage with large volunteer teams as well as larger church wide events.
- Ability to lead, direct, and engage CCC attendees in worship
- Prove leadership development and management of volunteers
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office, iWork, PowerPoint
- Have a clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ
- Have a clear calling of God to be a Worship Director
- Demonstrate excellence as a singer
- Have experience in the role of worship leading
- Possess a degree with a worship-related major or equivalent experience
- Have Planning Center Experience (Church Management Software)
- Have event planning experience
- Have Pro-Presenter Experience
Abilities and requirements:
- Fully agrees with CCC’s Statement of Faith and Core Values
- Has a pastoral heart and desires to shepherd people through worship
- Has a theological perspective in drawing people to God
- Has a specific desire to see people grow in their love for God
- Has an enthusiastic presence for leading in a larger church
- Understands contemporary worship dynamics in a larger church
- Has a relational and approachable demeanor
- Has a familiarity with current worship songs
- Has a basic knowledge of sound technology
- Needs to be skilled in guitar and/or keyboard
- Skilled in coordinating musicians and vocalists
- Skilled in organization, team-building, and recruiting
- Skilled in creativity and inclusion of other art forms in worship service
- Skilled in running rehearsals
What it's like to live in West Chester, PA:
West Chester, Pennsylvania is located in Chester County; an upscale, affluent, and culture heavy region of Pennsylvania with a diverse community and several decades of growth from a region of farm land to urban sprawl and a city feel.
West Chester is the best option for families to live: it has been voted a top ten or higher place for the past several years thanks in major part to its excellent schools, not just public and private primary education, but also with West Chester University just ten minutes away. More than that, West Chester has tons of recreational options for families, including sports leagues, clubs, and organizations backed financially by the generosity of the area. In the last few years, West Chester has been a magnet for families with young kids.
Major employers that bring business and jobs to the area include QVC, Comcast, Visa, government, tech, and pharmaceutical companies.
West Chester also offers a multitude of entertainment options, including five major sports teams, and central location to Manhattan and Washington, D.C., offering even more opportunities to catch a football, hockey, baseball, or basketball game from some of the biggest teams in the nation. Its central proximity to major cities also offers concerts, art museums, events, and more.
Price of Housing has a wide range depending on where you want to live. - most people either live in West Chester, Downingtown, Exton, Malvern or other surrounding suburbs of West Chester which are only 10 min from the church. The West Chester area is a great place to live, work and raise a family!
Think you're a great fit for this job? Become a candidate here.