Denomination: Independent Baptist
Weekly Attendance: 1,300
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
The Role: Family Pastor
Meet First Baptist Church Elkhart:
First Baptist Church was founded in downtown Elkhart in 1860 with a small group of believers. After several years at their first location, they moved to a location south of downtown. Today, FBC Elkhart is located on 40 acres of land on the northeast side of Elkhart, and occupies an 85,000 sq ft facility.
FBC Elkhart is very evangelistic, and outreach-oriented in its approach to the community, and exists to glorify God by equipping believers to love God, love people, and influence the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They have two contemporary services on Sunday morning which are both offered through livestream each week. Currently averaging 1100 attenders between both services, their mission continues to be “Worship, Walk & Work”.
About the Family Pastor :
The Family Pastor of FBC Elkhart will be responsible for the oversight, development, and implementation of the church’s overall Family Ministry strategies by working alongside parents to cast, promote, execute, and fulfill the mission statement of the church, specifically through ministry to the children, students, and families of First Baptist Church.
“We exist to equip believers to love God, love people and influence our world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.”
The Family Pastor's Responsibilities Include:Serves the Pastoral Staff:
- Provide leadership, coaching, direction, and vision for all of Family Ministries (Student Ministry Pastor, his staff, and Children’s Ministry - staff, programming, and events)
- Recruit, train, and coordinate workers for Family Ministry classes and events, worship service programming, and other FBC programs alongside the Student Ministry and Children’s Ministry staff
- Equip parents to be the primary disciplers in the lives of their students and children - providing resources, tools, and support
- Communicate and advocate for the needs of the Student Ministry and Children’s Ministry to other staff and church leaders
- Serve alongside the Children’s Ministry staff by providing leadership and direct support for all Children’s Ministry classes, events, worship service programming, and FBC programs
- Ensure a warm, friendly, and vibrant learning environment for children and families
- Apply strong biblical standards and appropriate child development knowledge to meet the needs of FBC’s children in curriculum selection, programming, child discipline, classroom organization, etc.
- Communicates and advocates for the needs of Family Ministry to other staff and church leaders
- Oversees and develops staff team members under his care
- Assists in any interdepartmental projects as needed
- Seeks to develop and motivate each family of FBC in deepening their walk with Christ while striving to unite with and complement other ministries within the church
- Is a part of the Preaching/Teaching team of the church
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree (preferred in ministry area).
Preferred three to five years of experience in leading a children’s program in a church of comparable size.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Expected to live an exemplary life modeling the call, character, and competencies of a follower of Jesus Christ
- Expected to be involved in the overall life of the church body by actively participating in Life Groups and other ministry-wide events and functions
- Has strong computer and administrative skills for handling emails, coordinating events, organizing, brainstorming, and managing a budget
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues and can handle complaints and problems with tact, patience, and diplomacy
- Demonstrates an enthusiastic, flexible, and willing spirit to work within constantly changing priorities
- Is committed to excellence in the development, implementation, and execution of the Family Ministry
- Is a passionate, dedicated, and contributing member of the Pastoral Staff Team
- Participates as needed or requested in the development and implementation of the overall church ministry
- Meets the qualifications for Elders (1 Timothy 3:1-7 & Titus 1:6-9)
- Participates as a member of the Elder Council; Will sign the church Ministry Leader’s Covenant
- Member of First Baptist Church
What it's Like to Live in Elkhart, Indiana:
Elkhart is a city in Elkhart County, Indiana, United States. It has a population of about 52,000 and most residents tend to own their homes. The city is located about an hour drive from multiple major cities such as South Bend, Chicago, and Indianapolis. The community of Elkhart gives a small-town feel, making the people very tight-knit and friendly. You will find mostly families and retirees in this area. Elkhart County, due to its large RV manufacturing industry, is known as “The RV Capital of the World.” The Elkhart downtown is situated at the intersection of the St Joseph and Elkhart rivers and is a thriving, walkable downtown rich in an Arts heritage.
Some of its most enjoyed attractions include the Aquatic Center and the Wellfield Botanic Gardens. Elkhart is home to the historic Lerner Theater which brings in many popular shows and musical artists. This town also has easy access to the campus of Notre Dame and a large shopping district. In Elkhart, you will find the perfect place to settle and raise a family.
Think you're a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.