Denomination: Baptist - American Baptist
Weekly Attendance: 100
Location: Aberdeen, SD
The Role: Senior Pastor
Meet First Baptist Church Aberdeen:
Founded in 1882, First Baptist Church of Aberdeen has been serving the community of Aberdeen, SD for over 100 years. First Baptist Church is a loving, welcoming church which strives to glorify God in all it does. The mission of First Baptist Church is to help people find and follow Jesus, and this is exemplified in everything they do. If you are looking for a place to call home, First Baptist Church Aberdeen is ready to welcome you with loving hearts and open arms.
About the Senior Pastor:
First Baptist Church Aberdeen is seeking a Senior Pastor to shepherd, manage, and lead First Baptist Church in its Mission of, "Helping People Find and Follow Jesus".
The Senior Pastor's Responsibilities Include:
- Shall be the administrative and spiritual leader of the Church and a resource to the congregation in the development of its ministry for Jesus Christ.
- Shall seek the counsel and assistance of fellow staff members, appropriate officers, and/or Board and Committee members in developing, formulating and promoting the ministries of the Church.
- Shall lead and/or oversee all aspects of worship, ministry programs and activities for church membership growth by turning the Church's Mission statement vision into reality.
- Shall prepare/deliver messages that draw individuals into God's Kingdom (being born again) with then discipleship using God's Word for power for righteous living in the church, community and the world.
- Shall communicate an understanding of the Bible and Christian theology to everyday living. This includes the administration of Baptism and the Lord's Supper.
- Shall seek to lead persons to make decisions for Christ and encourage a commitment to identify as a disciple of Jesus.
- Shall use the Holy Word as an educational foundation that is based upon theological and historical unabridged and unwavering truths.
- Shall foster an atmosphere of fellowship where everyone feels accepted, included, cared for, and loved for being God's creation.
- Shall perform in-home, nursing home, hospital, hospice visitation and counseling (referring as needed), wedding and funeral services in compliance with Church practices.
- Shall oversee daily church administration functions, supervise the work of the Church staff, serve as ex-officio member of all church board and committees, attend conventions and conferences as directed by the Church leadership,
- Shall have an accountability partner with another man and/or men (either within the Church or elsewhere) to sharpen each other's personal walk with the Lord.
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- Bachelor Degree required
- Master of Divinity degree preferred
- 2+ years of ministry experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to rekindle outreach initiatives within the church
- Ability to engage current cultural issues with the gospel and connect with younger families
- Ability to build up lay leadership
- Capable of both maintaining current ministry programs and developing new programs
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Born again Disciple of Jesus Christ, reflected in thoughts, words, and actions
- Accessible personality with a desire to meet with congregation members both before and after worship services.
- Outreach-oriented individual with a heart for the Aberdeen community and its spiritual well being
What it's Like to Live in Aberdeen, South Dakota:
As the third largest city in South Dakota, Aberdeen offers the charm of a small town with the amenities of a larger city. Aberdeen’s strong community spirit, high-performing schools and colleges, family-friendly recreation, and vibrant economy continue to attract visitors, residents, and businesses to our city.
It is a place where entrepreneurs can prosper, and solid values survive. Brown County is also one of the most productive agricultural counties in South Dakota. In recent years, the area has been transformed from a trade center serving family farms to a regional agricultural center with ever-expanding grain terminals, processing facilities, and ethanol plants.
We believe Aberdeen is a great place to live. We have all the seasons, low crime, 1 university (Northern State University), 1 college (Presentation College), 2 hospitals, hunting, fishing, great parks, sports-oriented, a strong private and public school system.
Think you're a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.