Denomination: Independent Baptist
Weekly Attendance: 1,300
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
The Role: Discipleship Pastor
Meet First Baptist Church Elkhart:
First Baptist Church was founded in downtown Elkhart in 1860 with a small group of believers. After several years at their first location, they moved to a location south of downtown. Today, FBC Elkhart is located on 40 acres of land on the northeast side of Elkhart, and occupies an 85,000 sq ft facility.
FBC Elkhart is very evangelistic, and outreach-oriented in its approach to the community, and exists to glorify God by equipping believers to love God, love people, and influence the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They have two contemporary services on Sunday morning which are both offered through livestream each week. Currently averaging 1100 attendees between both services, their mission continues to be “Worship, Walk & Work”.
About the Discipleship Pastor:
The Discipleship Pastor of FBC Elkhart will oversee all facets of the spiritual growth and maturity of the adults in the body of Christ. They will provide vision and direction to all adult discipleship ministries while working with volunteers to implement various strategies, all designed for spiritual growth. As a member of the pastoral team and by working directly with the Executive Pastor of Ministries, the Discipleship Pastor will lead and empower God’s people to fulfill the Mission Statement of FBC Elkhart.
The Discipleship Pastor's Responsibilities Include:
Serves the Pastoral Staff:
- Collaboratively develops opportunities for the growth and advancement of the FBC Life Groups ministry
- Recruits, enlists, trains, and mentors Life Group leaders
- Facilitates the placement of FBC attendees into Life Groups
- Oversees the delivery of and engagement of attendees through “The Journey”
- Develops Adult spiritual growth opportunities through both individual opportunities and specific events – i.e. conferences
- Provides leadership to the Membership Committee of FBC
- Oversees the process of baptisms
- Coordinates the Lay-Led Ministries of FBC
- Provides oversight to the Counseling Ministry of FBC - recruiting, enlisting, training, and mentoring counselors
- Participates in the development of the Adult Discipleship department budget
Serves the Support Staff:
- Communicates and advocates for the needs of the Adult Discipleship department to other staff and church leaders
- Oversees and develops staff team members under his care
- Assists in any interdepartmental projects as needed
Serves the Congregation:
- Seeks to develop and motivate each attendee of FBC in deepening their walk with Christ while striving to unite with and complement other ministries within the church
- Is a part of the Preaching/Teaching team of the church
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree, from an accredited, evangelical, theological university.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of pastoral experience in a local church and preferably in leading an Adult Discipleship program in a church of comparable size.
- Meet the qualifications for Elders (1Timothy 3:1-7 & Titus 1:6-9) and a member of FBC Elkhart.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Participates as a member of the Elder Council
- Expected to live an exemplary life modeling the call, character, and competencies of a follower of Jesus Chris
- Expected to be involved in the overall life of the church body by actively participating in Life Groups and other ministry-wide events and functions
- Has strong computer and administrative skills for handling emails, coordinating events, organizing, brainstorming, and managing a budget
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues and can handle complaints and problems with tact, patience, and diplomacy
- Demonstrates an enthusiastic, flexible, and willing spirit to work within constantly changing priorities
- Is committed to excellence in the development, implementation, and execution of the Adult Discipleship ministry
- Is a passionate, dedicated, and contributing member of the Pastoral Staff Team
- Participates as needed or requested in the development and implementation of the overall church ministry
- Member of First Baptist Church
What it's Like to Live in Elkhart, Indiana:
Elkhart is a city in Elkhart County, Indiana, United States. It has a population of about 52,000 and most residents tend to own their homes. The city is located about an hour drive from multiple major cities such as South Bend, Chicago, and Indianapolis. The community of Elkhart gives a small-town feel, making the people very tight-knit and friendly. You will find mostly families and retirees in this area. Elkhart County, due to its large RV manufacturing industry, is known as “The RV Capital of the World.” The Elkhart downtown is situated at the intersection of the St Joseph and Elkhart rivers and is a thriving, walkable downtown rich in an Arts heritage.
Some of its most enjoyed attractions include the Aquatic Center and the Wellfield Botanic Gardens. Elkhart is home to the historic Lerner Theater which brings in many popular shows and musical artists. This town also has easy access to the campus of Notre Dame and a large shopping district. In Elkhart, you will find the perfect place to settle and raise a family.
Think you're a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.