Theology: Baptist - SBC
Weekly Attendance: 225
Neighborhood: Union City, Tennessee
The role: The Senior Pastor is responsible to the church to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, provide spiritual leadership in all areas of church life, and to develop a Pastoral Care Ministry within the church.
Meet First Baptist Church:
In 1867, some 20 baptized believers met and organized the First Baptist Church of Union City under the leadership of Rev. R.E. McGowan.
Dr. Fred Kendall, First Baptist’s longest serving pastor, led in the completion of the Children’s Building and the Sanctuary attendees worship in today. In more recent years, Kare Bear Preschool was opened, and has grown year after year to a current enrollment of 160 children.
Their present Pastor is Cecil O. Sewell. Other staff members include interim Minister of Music/ worship Leader Jason Deem and Interim Minister to Youth, Chase Treece. God has so greatly blessed First Baptist over these 144 years. Their goal is to be a blessing and a witness as they faithfully serve Him. They look forward to all God will do through them and in them in the coming years, especially as they anticipate a new season of senior leadership.
About the Senior Pastor:
The Senior Pastor is responsible to the church to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, provide spiritual leadership in all areas of church life, and to develop a Pastoral Care Ministry within the church. He shall serve as Chief Administrator of the church. Led by the Holy Spirit, he is accountable to the congregation of First Baptist Church and to the Personnel Ministry Team.
The Senior Pastor will:
- Present biblically-based messages and plan and conduct worship experiences in conjunction with other staff members.
- Develop an outreach program which will lead the church in evangelism and soul-winning.
- Conduct counseling sessions, funerals, and weddings.
- Lead in observing the ordinances of the church.
- Lead in ministering to homebound members, hospital patients, and persons in need. Train and lead deacons to become servants.
- Serve as Chairman of the Church Council.
- Conduct special conferences and training sessions to disciple church members.
- Represent the church in civic matters.
- Serve as moderator of church business meetings.
- Cooperate with associational, state, and denominational leaders in matters of mutual concern; keep church informed of relevant developments in the Beulah Baptist Association, The Tennessee Baptist Convention, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
- Secure evangelists for revivals; secure supply speakers.
- Serve as ex-officio member of all church ministry teams and organizations.
- Perform annual evaluations of all church ministry staff and Chief Custodian.
- Lead the church in achieving her Mission.
What you bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Senior Pastor:
Graduate of a Southern Baptist seminary OR a graduate of a seminary whose theology and philosophy are known to align with that of Southern Baptists is greatly preferred.
The ideal candidate will have 10 to 15 years of experience of demonstrated senior leadership and success in a similar role. The ideal candidate will also be community oriented and someone who is capable of leading a staff and church with strength and confidence.
- Gives evidence of a personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Must agree and adhere to Statement of Core Beliefs & Staff Covenant with doctrine that matches First Baptist Church.
- Must be able to orally express his salvation experience and his call to the ministry.
- Is married with a spouse who will have a vested interest in the ministry of First Baptist Church.
- Demonstrates the qualities of integrity, humility, responsibility, teachability, and servanthood as a gracious and loving pastor.
- Believes, accepts, and supports the mission and vision of First Baptist Church.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity, guided by a sound set of ethical principles.
- Is a disciple-maker who creates and grows discipleship through leadership and communication.
- Is a leader that can create an environment of unity and a “can-do” spirit among a team.
- Has demonstrated a commitment to lifelong learning and personal development.
- Shows high relational skills and a love for people inside and outside the church.
- Has an unrelenting passion for leading people to faith and equipping them with spiritual practices for a life of discipline.
- Possesses a heart for Christ, the local church, the community, and the needs of the world.
What it's like to live in Union City, Tennessee:
Union City is a city located in Obion County, Tennessee, United States. The 2016 census reported the population of the town as 10,589. Union City is the principal city of the surrounding micropolitan area, which includes Obion County and Fulton County, Kentucky.
Union City has a rich heritage and an exciting future with a robust and diverse business community. From the days of Davy Crockett to the present, Union City’s growth has been based on its proximity to the railroad, rich timber and farmland, central geographic location, and a community known for its strong work ethic and appreciation for education.
The Discovery Park of America serves as a major attraction in the state of Tennessee and is located within city limits. Rich in history, Union City has a thriving community life and great education system. It is surrounded by beautiful nature and weekend trips can easily be made to St. Louis, Memphis, Louisville, and Nashville. All in all, Union City is an ideal place for any couple or family to live.
Think you're a great fit for this job? Become a candidate here.