Denomination: American Baptist
Weekly Attendance: 150
Location: Waynesburg, PA
The Role: Senior Pastor
Meet First Baptist Church Waynesburg:
The 180-year story of First Baptist Church of Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, is one of consecrated service, dedication, and faithfulness. It is the story of a congregation that has been held together by the strong bonds of Christian love and fellowship, celebrating with families the happy occasions in their lives and supporting them in times of distress, sickness, and death. It is the story of a prevailing spirit of optimism of committed Christians who are convinced that through their faith in God through his son, Jesus Christ, theirs will be the final victory and eternal life.
Having been led by the Spirit of God to place our trust in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, we solemnly and joyfully covenant with God and each other as a fellowship of faith. Believing that God has revealed in Christ the truth for daily life, we grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord through faithful Bible reading, prayer, worship and obedience. Believing that the local church serves the cause of Christ on earth, we give our grateful financial support and active participation in the church ministries using the resources and spiritual gifts God has given each of us. Believing that God has called us to be a witness to Christ's saving power and love we bring our personal, family, and community relationships under the Lordship of Christ. We also share in proclaiming the gospel to the whole world and in working for freedom, justice, dignity, and peace for all. Acknowledging our sin and unworthiness, we ask the Holy Spirit to help us grow more Christ-like together. May we be aware of the effect our lives have on others as we are witnesses to Christ’s salvation.
About the Senior Pastor:
The Senior Pastor shall be the spiritual leader of the Church. In this capacity, he shall be its chief administrator and shall provide leadership in all areas of Church Life and Ministries.
The Senior Pastor Will:
- Enable spiritual growth as the pastoral director of the Church.
- Abide by the Church Constitution and by-laws, preach and teach according to the historic Baptist faith.
- Strive in word and deed to exemplify the Christian faith, seeking to make the ministry positive, inviting, and helpful.
- Execute the responsibilities of the Senior Pastor thoroughly and effectively to accomplish the goal of the high call and standard of ministry.
- Coordinate Sunday morning services each week and special services as required, bringing sermons on each occasion unless other programs and speakers are planned.
- Spend time in study for sermons, other presentations, and personal growth.
- Maintain a teaching and training ministry for new members and Church leadership.
- Develop, lead, and coordinate a visitation program of the Church.
- Respond and attend to members, and with discretion, to others in crisis situations, being available for consultation and visits as proximity allows.
- Officiate at child dedications, baptisms, and the Lord’s Supper.
- Officiate at weddings and funerals on behalf of the Church.
- Visit area hospitals as needed and visit shut-ins as often as reasonable. Responsible for coordinating the coverage of such events by another staff or an acceptable alternate in unable to attend.
- Contact and build relationships with the general church membership in an equitable and balanced manner and visit if requested.
- Support, evaluate and manage all Church employees in their daily activities according to job descriptions and policies set by Church Boards and Committees.
- Under all conditions, assign and maintain adequate coverage of office hours for administration, membership contact, counseling, and for persons in general who need to interface with the Church, keeping in trust all confidences.
- Act as ex-officio advisor to Church Boards and Committees.
- Represent the Church at appropriate community functions and church events.
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
10+ years of ministry experience
Senior Pastor experience strongly preferred
Meets the Biblical qualifications (1st Timothy 3 and Titus 1).
- Master’s degree is required.
- An engaging, biblically faithful teacher
- Ability to strengthen the established vision for the future of the church
- Can relate to people of different ethnic, socioeconomic, and generational backgrounds
- Demonstrates humility and compassionate relational skills.
- Desires to lead, mentor, and guide church leaders, ministry staff, and the congregation into a deeper walk with God.
What It's Like to Live in Waynesburg, PA:
Waynesburg is a town in Pennsylvania with a population of approximately 8,000. Waynesburg is diversifying, but it still maintains its neighborly feel. As the county seat, Waynesburg is home to the Greene County government, human services, and the judicial system. Living in Waynesburg offers residents a sparse suburban feel, and most residents own their homes. Waynesburg welcomes you with a host of charming amenities often found in more densely populated areas. Stroll along the quaint streets and find unique shops and restaurants or relax in the wonderful park system that exists just two blocks from the heart of downtown. Residents have the best of both worlds. The rural lifestyle is flavored by the past and reflects the agricultural and mining heritage of this area. Yet, with I-79, one is minutes from Pittsburgh and major league sports, cultural events, world-class medical care, and the urban experience.
Waynesburg University, a Christian university rooted in its mission of faith, learning, and service, offers more than 70 undergraduate major concentrations and several graduate and professional programs. Top programs include nursing, counseling, and criminal justice, which rank among the best nationally.
Think you're a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.