Weekly Attendance: 125 in person, 700 online
Location: Atlanta, GA
The Role: Senior Pastor
Meet Friendship Baptist Church:
Friendship Baptist Church is the oldest African American Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia. It is known as the “Mother Church” because of its role in harmoniously forming nine other congregations throughout the metropolitan area.
From humble beginnings in a discarded railroad boxcar to a new church edifice constructed in 2017, Friendship has enjoyed a celebrated history of providing spiritual leadership and support for its members. The Friendship Baptist Church membership is diverse and best described as a multi-generational congregation. Members of Friendship Baptist Church are increasingly passionate about helping their community. Through working with underserved youth in the community and fostering higher education with a long-standing relationship with the academic institutions of the Atlanta University Center, Friendship Baptist Church has remained committed to enriching and nurturing the city they call home.
About the Senior Pastor:
Friendship Baptist Church seeks a strong leader who adheres to Godly values in his/her personal and professional life. The ideal candidate should demonstrate commitment to worship and outreach beyond the church walls. With an emphasis on community development and engagement, the new Senior Pastor will be eager to lead and strengthen a Baptist congregation spiritually.
The Senior Pastor's Responsibilities Include:
- Serve as administrator of the pulpit and worship ministries of the church.
- Strengthen congregational and youth engagement.
- Attract, develop, and retain membership.
- Provide educational and growth experiences in faith and leadership training for the congregation.
- Provide for the nurture of the membership to include visitation of the sick and shut-in, hospital visits, comfort and assistance for the bereaved, and counseling for members and the unchurched.
- Provide observance of the ordinances of Baptism and the Institution of Holy Communion and for other sacerdotal rites, such as funerals, holy matrimony, and infant dedication.
- Serve as ex officio member of all ministries and committees of the church, except for a committee formed to identify and call a new pastor.
- Serve as supervisor of all church personnel. With the approval of the Deacon Board or Trustee Board or their appropriate committees, the pastor shall be authorized to hire, recommend for employment, determine the terms of employment, and terminate the employment of professional staff and all other church personnel; this includes Assistant or Associate Ministers, consistent with any employee policies established by the Church.
- Serve, assisted by others, as day-to-day administrator of the church facility.
- Serve as moderator of all congregational and organizational meetings.
- Facilitate the ministries of the church.
- Ensure compliance with the policies and procedures established by the church.
- Serve as the lead representative of the congregation in denominational and ecumenical events and activities.
- Represent the congregation in various community agencies and programs.
- Continue maintaining a working and worshiping relationship with neighboring churches and Atlanta University Center institutions.
- Provide leadership to church affiliates and affiliate assets.
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
5+ years of pastoral experience.
Previous Senior Pastor experience preferred.
Master of Divinity required.
Doctorate Degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Measurable fiscal and budgetary experience.
Excellence in sermon preparation and preaching and Baptist polity.
Excellent interpersonal, communication, administration, and leadership skills.
Experience in community development and land development is preferred.
Community and professional organizational and academic endeavors are also preferred.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Social Consciousness
- Change Agent
- Strong Leader
- Growth Minded
What it’s like to live in Atlanta, GA:
Atlanta has been described as a city within a forest, and that often appears to be true. It's a beautiful, green metropolis with numerous recreational options and four distinct weather seasons (including mild winters). Atlanta has the fifth largest population in the U.S., with 5.7 million residents. It is considered a top business city and a primary transportation hub of the Southeastern U.S. The city contains the world headquarters of corporations such as Coca-Cola, Home Depot, UPS, and Delta Air Lines. Although traditional Southern culture is part of Atlanta's cultural fabric, it's mostly the backdrop to one of the nation's leading international cities. This unique cultural combination reveals itself at the High Museum of Art, the bohemian shops of Little Five Points, and the multi-cultural dining choices found along Buford Highway. Atlanta also hosts a variety of history museums and attractions, including the Atlanta History Center, The Carter Center, and the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site. The city is also home to several post-secondary educational institutions, including Atlanta University Center (Clark Atlanta, Morehouse, Morris Brown and Spelman), Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University, Emory University, and others.
Think you're a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.