About the Organization:
Living The Word began when the late elder Matthew Hawkins felt called to begin a new church where real people are infused with real, dynamic faith, where they were committed to a common vision, and joined together in covenant love. After 25 years at a large denominational church in St. Louis, he felt like there was a need for a relevant Christian presence in the metro-East area of Illinois.
And so, with 15 people and seed money to start out on this new mission, Living The Word was born in 1985.
In 1998, Elder Matthew Hawkins passed away. Although the church mourned this loss, they also sensed a need for new younger leadership and the board of trustees asked David Hawkins, an appointed minister of the church, to become their Lead Pastor.
In summer of 2011, Living The Word Church and Overflow Worship Center merged. Over 550 people attended the first combined service. Today, the church comprises of a wide range of age groups and ethnicities.
Living The Word gracefully approaches living out the word because they are learners, leaders, students and inquirers. They believe in multicultural and multigenerational ministry. They love friendship and fellowship and family.
Location: Collinsville, IL
About the Position:
The Executive Pastor is responsible for leading staff members and overseeing multiple departments within the church. The ability to lead and manage people in a structured, yet organic way is a must. This individual must have a passion for Jesus Christ, the vision of LTW, a heart for those seeking and walking with Jesus in our community and an unwavering commitment to bringing leadership to the church. This individual will work closely with the Lead Pastor.
The ideal candidate for the Executive Pastor position is someone who is both excellent in administration but also passionate about the mission of the church. While their primary role isn’t one of visionary, they are someone who has a true heart for restoration and wants to live out the values of restorative ministry as they see it is both appropriate and deeply needed in the mission field of the church.
This posture towards reconciliation will be best used to care for the community as they work through systemic issues in the city, and to actively work in urban ministry, serving and caring for all those that need transformation, regardless of their background or history.
What We Are Searching For / Qualifications:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Executive Pastor:
Bachelor's Degree (B.A. or B.S.) is preferred. Related experience as an Executive Pastor or training and leadership experience in the church or business world could be substituted for the educational requirement.
3-5 years related experience in ministry and/or training.
Spiritual Gifts Helpful For This Position
Character Traits Needed For This Position
- Passion for Christ and for the work of the ministry at LTW
- Excellent people and communication skills, including the following:
- Talking with and to others and communicating information effectively.
- Speaking clearly so others understand.
- Communicating effectively in writing, including the proper use of the English language.
- Passionately cast clear vision about LTW with accurate detail.
- Biblical awareness and continued education with Biblical studies
- Time management and ability to lead/manage other staff and their schedules
- Experience with communicating in a culture similar to LTW
- Team builder and team player
- Outstanding follow-through and task completion required
- Not afraid to make the hard decisions and say no
- High integrity, trustworthy, on time, and reliable
- Risk taker
- Self-motivated/self-lead individual (initiates projects on own)
- Flexible and teachable
- Passionate about LTW and a relationship with God.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Emphasis on accuracy, timelines, and follow-up.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to prioritize and organize workload.
- Solid memory for details and new information.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
About the Location:
Metro East Region
The Metro East Area is a region in Illinois that comprises the eastern suburbs of St. Louis, Missouri, United States (US). It encompasses five Southern Illinois counties and parts of three others in the St. Louis area.
In the 1950s, the Metro East Region was a mecca of art and culture, and All-American City. Known as the “Pittsburg of the West,” the area was driven by music, as home to forces of blues, rock and roll, and jazz greats like Tina Turner and Miles Davis.
One of the highlights of the city's waterfront is the Gateway Geyser, the second tallest fountain in the world. Designed to complement the Gateway Arch across the river in St. Louis, it shoots water the same height as the Arch.
St. Louis, MO
St. Louis is sited near the confluence of the Missouri and the Mississippi Rivers, is the heart of Greater St. Louis, a metropolitan area of nearly three million people in Missouri and Illinois, the Illinois portion of which is commonly referred to as the Metro-East. It is home to some of the country's largest public and privately held corporations, including Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Graybar, Scottrade, Edward Jones, Emerson, Energizer, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Boeing Defense, Space & Security, Purina, Monsanto Company, and MasterCard.
The St. Louis Cardinals, one of the most successful Major League Baseball teams, make their home at Busch Stadium. Other professional teams include the St. Louis Blues (hockey).
Washington University in St. Louis is the highest nationally ranked university in the city (13th) followed by Saint Louis University (86th nationally).
Interested in this job? Apply here.