Denomination: Christian Church Restoration Movement
Weekly Attendance: 1,200
Location: St. John, IN
The Role: Worship Pastor
Meet Suncrest Christian Church:
In 1994, a group of courageous men and women launched a different kind of church in the emerging part of Northwest Indiana to reach a generation of people that were no longer connecting with faith and church.
It grew from a few in folding chairs meeting in a backyard, to hundreds who met at Lake Central High School, to more than 1000 who now worship in an ever-expanding facility on Parrish Street. In the coming years, Suncrest will build a new facility on a prime piece of land they own to reach thousands. This is all driven by their DNA to be a place that will fully trust God and invest what it takes to see lives changed.
Today, the people of Suncrest are bringing change to Northwest Indiana and beyond.
It is known regionally for its compassion to lift up people in need, which includes building robust partnerships with local nonprofits to make a difference not just in our building but throughout the area.
It is a leader in the world of church-planting with a strategy to impact 1 million people by 2034 through starting and multiplying new churches.
It has earned a reputation locally as a church that welcomes everyone, takes risks to reach younger and unchurched people, and leads them into a life-changing relationship with Christ.
About the Worship Pastor:
The weekend service serves as a critical component for accomplishing our mission. The successful Worship Pastor will craft transformational weekend experiences that are outward-focused, creative, and maintain excellence. It is the most important part of this job. We want to create experiences where people have authentic and transformational experiences with God. As we aim at unchurched people, we communicate directly what it looks like to follow Jesus. We are intentional and unapologetic about reaching a younger demographic.
The Worship Pastor's Responsibilities Include:
- Create authentic and engaging weekend experiences
- Recruit and develop volunteer teams
- Build a culture where volunteers more fully live their lives in the way of Jesus
- Occasional responsibilities shared among all pastoral positions such as weddings, funerals and other pastoral situations
- People-development is essential
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- 3+ years of Worship Ministry experience
- Undergraduate degree preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency personally as a guitarist/musician/vocalist and ability to develop others
- Adequate working knowledge of technical/production needs in an auditorium
- Strategic thinking skills and goal setting are required
- Effective leadership and equipping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality
- Team player: self-motivated and strong work ethic (expected 45 hours per week)
- Strong recruiting capacity
- Bold change agent who pursues strong, healthy results
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Humility and open desire for professional and personal development
- Current spiritual maturity and continued spiritual growth
- Values participation, excellence, reproduction, leadership and sensitivity to unchurched people
- Integrity of character to handle sensitive leadership conversations
- Low drama personality
- Respectful of others and prompts respect from others
What it's Like to Live in St. John, IN:
Northwest Indiana is the best of both worlds in many ways. It has all the benefits of proximity to Chicago while also enjoying the benefits of living on the Indiana side of the state line.
The community of St. John is 24 miles southeast of Chicago and filled with quiet neighborhoods, top-quality schools, and young families. St. John has been recognized as one of the "top 50 best small towns in the nation.” The town is positioned as a peaceful getaway close enough to urban areas to make it a short drive there, and yet far enough away to be a refuge of quiet simplicity.
St. John is a well planned community. An extensive bicycle and pedestrian trail winds through lovely subdivisions. Over 20 well equipped parks and an active park program provides a myriad of activities for residents of all ages. There are many local specialty shops and selected larger retail stores. It is growing rapidly, especially as a top destination for those relocating to this part of Chicagoland from other Illinois suburbs. St. John is family friendly with local festivals, a Farmer’s Market, golf courses, dog parks, and splash pads. WalletHub has ranked the Town of St. John as the 12th Best Place to Live in Indiana for Families. SafeWise has ranked the Town of St. John as the safest city in Indiana.
St, John is surrounded by Crown Point, Cedar Lake, Dyer, & Schererville. Each of these communities share much of what is described about St. John while having their own unique features. The Suncrest staff live throughout this area.
Think you're a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.