Denomination: Reformed Church of America (RCA)
Weekly Attendance: 200
Location: Bronxville, NY
The Role: Associate Minister
Meet The Reformed Church of Bronxville:
The Reformed Church of Bronxville (RCB) dates back to April 9, 1850. On that day, the founders gathered on the hill above what is now Pondfield Road and Midland Avenue in Bronxville (then Underhill’s Crossing) to dedicate their first church building. It was a small, New England-style clapboard structure that remained until 1926, when the present sanctuary was completed.
A local expression of the Reformed Church in America (the former Dutch Reformed Church), RCB’s pre-history dates even further back to 1628, when Dutch settlers held their first worship service above a grist mill at the southern tip of New Amsterdam. Services have continued uninterrupted since then, so RCB is part of the oldest Protestant church in North America with a continuing ministry.
In recent years, the Reformed Church of Bronxville has grown from a village-centered parish to a thriving house of worship that draws visitors from throughout Westchester County and the entire tri-state area.
During our visit, our Vanderbloemen team found RCB to be an amazing mix of deep history and high-impact local ministry. It is located in the heart of a village that is as picturesque as it is influential. The opportunity to provide meaningful ministry to some of New York City’s brightest minds cannot be understated.
This is a vibrant and alive church. There are amazing transformation stories happening in the building, in the community, and around the world through the people of this diverse community of faith.
About the Associate Minister:
The Reformed Church of Bronxville (“RCB”) in Bronxville, New York is a growing and thriving congregation in lower Westchester Country, New York. This congregation of over 500 individuals seeks to share God’s love in the person of Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit through a wide variety of programs for all ages. RCB seeks an Associate Minister with a wide variety of ministerial gifts who loves God, loves the Church, and loves God’s people. RCB is a community- minded congregation with an eye towards how we follow Christ in mission to our neighbors near and far.
The Associate Minister's Responsibilities Include:
Note: while the following responsibilities are comprehensive, the role leaves room for creativity and adaptation to the individuals gifting, experience, and calling in dialogue with the Senior Minister and Consistory.
- In conjunction with the Senior Minister & Director of Music & Liturgy, plan thoughtful, meaningful and engaging worship services throughout the Christian calendar and at specific times in the life of the Church.
- Serve as a Liturgist at all worship services and special services.
- Preach worship services as designated by the Senior Minister throughout the church year. Officiate Weddings & Funerals in consultation with the Senior Minister.
- Work with the Senior Minister & Director of Member Engagement in providing pastoral care and counsel to members, and guests.
- Work with program staff members in the maintenance of the weekly Prayer List.
- Work with the Senior Minister in developing new programs to better provide care and fellowship across all segments of the congregation.
- Work with the Senior Minister and other responsible program staff members in providing intergenerational educational opportunities and programs.
- Lead Bible Studies & Small Groups at various points throughout the year.
- Write theologically thoughtful and applicable articles and devotionals to be used through the many communication platforms in the Church.
Other Ministerial Responsibilities
- Work closely with the program staff in collaborative ministries across departments that grow RCB both numerically and spiritually.
- Participate in New Members Classes (approximately 2-3 times a year).
- Work with the Senior Minister in the financial stewardship efforts of the Church.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, staff prayers, & monthly Elder/Deacon/Consistory meetings.
- Prepare monthly program staff reports.
- Represent RCB (along with or in place of the Senior Minister) when clergy representation is requested at various events.
- Attend denominational meetings as needed.
- Lead a certain Church Council in consultation with the Senior Minister.
- Attend to other related tasks as needed.
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- Masters of Divinity & Ordained in The Reformed Church in America or affiliate denomination to this “called” position
- A Minimum 5 years of Ministerial or other relevant experience is preferred.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- A flexible, adapting spirit to the “pivoting” nature of life within the Church
- Christ-like spirit of care
- Initiative to develop and launch new or re-imagined programs
- A spirit of grace in working with a team of volunteers
- Skills of attention to detail and organization
- A thoughtful, prayerful, discerning attitude
- “Team Player” mentality to both lead and listen
What it's Like to Live in Bronxville, NY:
Bronxville, a village that is a mile square and 1/2 hour from midtown Manhattan, is a special place. It is teeming with activity largely driven by the families who come here, attracted by the schools, the beautiful town and housing stock, and the proximity to NYC. At the center of town is a crossroads which is occupied in each of the four corners by the K-12 School, the Library, Village Hall, and our church which has sat in this location since 1850. It has two colleges, a hospital, a thriving town center, and is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. It combines the feel of a small town with easy access to “the Big City”.
Read more about the village: http://www.villageofbronxville.com/about-our-village
Think you're a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.