Theology: Independent Baptist Church, affiliates with GARBC and the Northeast Fellowship (both are fellowships of independent Baptist churches)
Weekly Attendance: 80
Neighborhood: Fulton, NY
The role: The next Senior Pastor at Calvary Baptist Church will shepherd, teach, and be a faithful example of servant leadership to the congregation.
Meet Calvary Baptist Church:
Calvary Baptist Church is an independent, fundamental Baptist church located in central New York. Calvary exists to serve the community of Fulton, located about 20 minutes north of Syracuse. The congregation-led church was founded in 1953, and currently averages an attendance of 80-90 on Sunday mornings. The church has embraced a more contemporary style of worship and fellowship, while maintaining a commitment to the doctrinal integrity upon which they were founded.
About the Senior Pastor:
The next Senior Pastor at Calvary Baptist Church will shepherd, teach, and be a faithful example of servant leadership to the congregation. The Senior Pastor will be expected to preach and lead services on Sundays, as well as perform other pastoral and administrative responsibilities.
Watch this video to learn more about the Senior Pastor role and Calvary Baptist Church:
The Senior Pastor will:
The effective Senior Pastor will achieve the following goals during the first 12 months of work:
- Develop strategies for reaching the community and drawing them into fellowship
- Communicate a vision for the future of the church and its areas of needed growth
- Effectively engage and communicate with the mixed demographics of a small city and its surrounding rural population
- Present the Gospel of salvation clearly
- Strengthen our doctrinal conviction
- Promote spiritual unity within the body through Scriptural conflict resolution
- Exhort believers toward obedience and practical application of Scripture to their lives
- Equip the body of Christ to minister to those around them
What you bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Senior Pastor:
A bachelor’s degree is required for this position. While not required, a seminary degree or further theological training is a great bonus.
The ideal candidate will have at least one year of leadership experience, but preferably five years or more of preaching and teaching or leadership experience in a ministry setting.
- He is a man of upstanding character, as laid out in I Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
- In shepherding his flock, our ideal pastor will live as an example of servant leadership to his congregation.
- He will have a genuine heart for ministering to the people of the church and the community at large.
- He will be a great preacher and teacher with a love for knowledge and the Bible.
- He should be technologically adept.
What it's like to live in Fulton, New York:
The industrial nature of the small city led to a very stable workforce for many years. In fact, during the Great Depression of the early 1930s, the New York Sun newspaper (NYC) wrote a lengthy article describing Fulton, its residents, and the strong local economy. It was headlined as, "Fulton, the City the Great Depression Missed." Since then, Fulton’s economy continued to prosper and advance, which led to a large amount of stability. These days, the economy isn’t as strong. Despite this, it’s the ideal location for a church like Calvary, which offers hope to the many hurting, broken people in the community in need of the hope of the Gospel. The economy of Fulton, New York is specialized in utilities, wholesale trade, and transportation and warehousing, which employ, respectively, 3.87, 2.26, and 1.34 times more people than what would be expected in a location of this size. Excellent housing and schooling options make Fulton family friendly and attractive to couples and kids as well.
Fulton is a very outdoor-oriented city due to the fact that the Oswego River flows right through the city. It offers many different activities such as fishing, biking, orchards, hiking, golfing, and more. Additionally, Fulton is a quick 20 mile drive from Syracuse, and a one to two hour drive from a couple of major cities, such as Rochester, New York and Buffalo, New York, in which one could travel to for further dining, shopping, and entertaining options.
Think you're a great fit for this position? Become a candidate here.