Weekly Attendance: 325
Location: San Jose, CA
About the Organization:
Central Christian Church traces her history back to January 1939, when William Jessup found a nucleus of 20 people who desired to start a local church. The church officially began on March 1, 1939 in downtown San Jose on South 5th Street. Six months later, William Jessup founded San Jose Bible College (now William Jessup University which moved to Rocklin, California in 2004). During the World War II years, the church grew to 300 Sunday attendees. Central Christian Church has had nine pastors in her 79 years and is now looking for a new Lead Pastor.
Central is an intergenerational church with historical ties to the Restoration Movement, but with members from many church backgrounds. Located on Meridian Avenue in the Willow Glen area of San Jose, thousands of cars drive by the church campus daily. The potential for outreach to the community is unlimited.
The church is led by the Board of Elders of which the lead pastor is a member. The Lead Pastor is responsible for all operations of the church. He has a staff of 5 full time professionals and part-time staff as required.
About the Position:
The Lead Pastor is the primary vision caster at Central Christian Church. The Lead Pastor oversees, directs, and manages the activities of the Church Staff. The Lead Pastor reports to the Elder Board and serves as an adjunct member of the Elder Board. The Lead Pastor shares the responsibilities of the Elder Board.
What We Are Searching For / Qualifications:
A bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field is required, and ordination with formal theological training is highly preferred for this role.
The ideal candidate will be a lifelong learner. His background, training and experience shall include knowledge and acceptance of the restoration movement, known as independent Christian Churches or Churches of Christ.
Five years or more of experience preaching and leading in churches comparable in size to Central Christian Church is ideal for this role. The successful candidate will also have the demonstrated ability to grow a congregation with diverse levels of spiritual maturity.
- He shall be a baptized believer and a man of prayer, exhibiting a teachable spirit, a servant’s heart, and demonstrating the fruit of the Spirit in his life.
- He shall meet the qualifications of an Elder as established in 1 Timothy 3:2-7 and Titus 1:6-9.
- He shall be in full accord with our position (statements of faith), purpose and vision.
- He shall become a Church member and see himself not only as a leader but also a team member with the elders, staff and members to carry out the mission of Central Christian Church.
- Someone with a love for the congregation, who deeply knows the people, visits the sick and cares for the congregation in a pastoral manner.
- Someone who is an effective preacher and teacher, with a strong biblical knowledge background.
- Someone of strong character.
- Someone with a vision for growth.
- Someone who can turn a vision into action with training, events, programs, etc.
- Someone who can demonstrate healthy leadership - they are not a micromanager, but instead lead with joy and encouragement, as well as motivation and vision when needed.
- Someone who understands and has a heart for evangelism and sharing the Gospel.
- Someone with a heart for missions and a contagious joy.
- Someone who leads by example. They are a servant leader with a proven track record of rolling up their sleeves and serving.
- Someone whose identity is found in their relationship with Jesus and has a vibrant, evident, growing faith.
- Someone with a love for people.
- Someone who is an excellent communicator - both from the pulpit and interpersonally.
- Someone with basic counseling skills who can leverage this gift for good in the church.
About the Location:
Known as the “Capital of Silicon Valley,” San Jose is the third largest city in California and the tenth largest city in the United States. The 2010 Census records the population of San Jose as 945,942. San Jose is part of the San Francisco Bay Area, the sixth largest metropolitan area in the U.S. with more than 7 million people. Crime is lower in San Jose than in other large American cities, and it ranks as one of the safest cities in the U.S. with 500,000 or more residents. One of the top Billboard songs in 1968 was Dionne Warwick’s, “Do You Know The Way To San Jose?”
After California was granted statehood in 1850, San Jose became the first capital of the state. In the early years, San Jose was primarily an agricultural center taking advantage of the rich soil in the Santa Clara Valley. But when IBM opened its West Coast headquarters in San Jose in 1943, the area would quickly become known as a high-tech center, earning the nickname “Silicon Valley.” San Jose residents produce more patents than any other American city. About 35% of all venture capital funds in the U.S. are invested in San Jose and Silicon Valley companies. The companies with a significant presence in the area include: Intel, Apple, Google, Yahoo, Applied Materials, Advanced Micro Devices, Facebook, and IBM.
One of the best features of San Jose is its ideal weather—the mild winters and summers. The annual average mean temperature is 60.5 degrees (F), and less than three nights a year does the temperature get below freezing. Average highs in the summer are 80 degrees. San Jose has 300 plus days of sunshine a year.
The three largest ethnic groups of San Jose are as follows: white (approximately 40%), Asian (approximately 30%), and Hispanic (approximately 30%).
There are many fine institutions of higher learning in San Jose and the Bay Area – a source of computer engineers for the high-tech industry. Included are San Jose State University, Stanford University, University of California at Berkeley, Santa Clara University, and the University of California at Santa Cruz.
San Jose is home for the NHL San Jose Sharks and the San Francisco 49ers play in a stadium in the neighboring city of Santa Clara. The city of San Francisco, an hour to the north, home of the Giants, is a great place for sightseeing and the arts, and coastal areas like Santa Cruz and Monterey are a short drive away. The Monterey Bay area is famous for its scenery and golf courses like Pebble Beach.
Interested in this job? Become a candidate here.