Weekly Attendance: 1,086
Theology: Converge Worldwide
Neighborhood: Gurnee Illinois
The Role: The Director of Student Ministries will help students know Jesus and grow to be like Him by developing environments where students prioritize their relationship with Jesus, influence their friends for Jesus, and engage others by serving in personal ministry.
Meet Immanuel Church:
Immanuel Church is committed to creating a friendly and welcoming environment for all newcomers. It’s also a place where people love Jesus like crazy. Immanuel Church is welcoming - in fact, their tagline is “Welcome home!” It’s a place where people truly feel at home. It’s a contemporary church and an authentic home base; a place where God is working on everyone, always. It’s not a traditional church, where you might have to feel like you have to put up a front or act like you are okay or have it all together - everyone belongs here. Immanuel is a creative, welcoming, warm church all about introducing people to Jesus and helping them know Him more.
Along with all these great things about Immanuel Church, it also has a rich history. It’s been around a long time and its beginnings reach all the way back to the late 19th century, when a small group of immigrants from Sweden began meeting in homes for fellowship and prayer. In 1895, they decided to organize a church, and the Swedish Baptist Church of Waukegan was born on November 10th of that year.
And so, spanning portions of three centuries, Immanuel Church continues to seek God’s direction in devising innovative ways to share the Gospel. Its people have always been characterized by a generous spirit and a willingness to embrace new ideas so that lost people can be introduced to the Savior.
Immanuel Church, doesn’t describe a building or an organization, it describes a gathering of people. Immanuel Church is a family that believes in love, grace, and forgiveness because that’s what has been given to them by Jesus. So they come together to help people know Jesus and grow to be like Him.
About the Director of Student Ministries role:
The Director of Student Ministries will help students know Jesus and grow to be like Him by developing environments where students prioritize their relationship with Jesus, influence their friends for Jesus, and engage others by serving in personal ministry. The Director of Student Ministries will lead individuals into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and serve on the Immanuel staff by giving leadership and vision to the youth ministry in totality. This individual will offer vision and strategic foresight for the successful growth of the ministry.
They will be a leader-developer who is gifted in teaching, and has a heart to influence teenagers. They will have a strong understanding of the unique DNA of the church and will seamlessly align the goals of the youth ministry in conjunction with them.
The successful candidate will express a total student ministry philosophy, work well with strong pastoral leadership, and be accountable. They will be passionate about their call to ministry and be committed to achieving all goals and expectations. In addition to building a ministry or program built upon sound strategy and approaches, the candidate will demonstrate a willingness to engage in the lives of students in local middle and high school campuses.
What you bring:
- The successful candidate will likely have a college degree, at minimum.
- The ideal candidate will portray genuine love and passion for students and have at least five years’ experience of cultivating a growing and successful youth ministry in a church.
- The successful candidate will have a history of experience as a dynamic communicator, with a significant background in recruiting, managing teams, and building leaders. In addition, they will embrace working in a grace-oriented setting committed to reaching the unreached, building community relations, and promoting innovation through collaboration.
- Be a dynamic and effective communicator that reaches an audience of all ages.
- Be an effective recruiter of leaders and volunteers for youth ministry.
- Have the ability to embrace and implement a church-wide vision that translates throughout all youth ministries of the church.
- Possess the capability of translating strategy into creative execution, to create and develop systems to build a large successful youth ministry.
- Prove a solid understanding of the balance between attractional youth environments and the discipleship process within an effective youth ministry.
- Be familiar with the Orange philosophy of youth and family ministry. This quality would be a plus.
- Highly relational with a friendly and approachable disposition.
- Possess a teachable and coachable spirit.
- Comfortable receiving feedback from senior leadership.
- High intellectual and emotional intelligence.
- An insatiable passion to develop, equip, and propel both individual leaders and teams.
- Leads a life of following Christ and have life/work balance in marriage, parenting, and friendships.
- Commitment to the vision, mission, core values, and beliefs of Immanuel Church.
- If married, spouse will have a vested interest in the vision of the church.
What it's like to live in Gurnee:
Gurnee is a village in Lake County, Illinois, United States. Its population was 31,295 as of the 2010 census. It borders the city of Waukegan and is considered a part of the Chicago metropolitan area. It is best known for being the location of Six Flags Great America and Gurnee Mills, together drawing over 26 million visitors annually.
The eastern and western side of the village of Gurnee are divided into two school districts known as the Gurnee School District and the Woodland Grade School District. Both districts contain a total of four schools.
There are various forms of entertainment in the Gurnee and Lake County areas. As mentioned previously, Six Flags Great America and Gurnee Mills are just two of the major forms of entertainment found in this exciting village. Other forms of entertainment include theaters, outdoor markets, spas, parks, and more. Additionally, on your night or weekend off, take a short trip to Chicago, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin. With these two locations less than 50 miles from Gurnee, you’re bound to have never-ending forms of entertainment whether it be food, shows, shopping, and more. All in all, Gurnee is a welcoming, comforting, and exciting city for any couple or family to live in.
Think you're the right person for the job? Become a candidate here.