The longstanding mission of McGregor Baptist Church is to challenge all people to radically follow Jesus.
About the Organization:
McGregor Baptist Church (McGregor) opened its doors in 1958 as Southside Baptist Chapel, just outside the city limits of Fort Myers on McGregor Boulevard. Originally an independent mission church pastored by evangelist Dan Perkins, 51 individuals attended the first Sunday service on June 23rd. Over the years, a rich legacy of godly men have led McGregor Baptist Church through significant growth. The year 1968 brought forth increased growth as facility expansions were made. Growth continued to be part of the McGregor tradition, measured by hearts changed through its ministries and the cross of Jesus Christ.
Marked by a rich history, McGregor Baptist Church looks forward to the future God has for them in the days to come. The church is in a season of strategically resetting at many levels, and they look to the next Minister of Music to collaborate with the executive team as they mark a new era at McGregor Baptist Church. Speaking to the vision of this position, is Lead Pastor Russell Howard:
Size - 2,600
Denomination - SBC
Location - Fort Myers, FL
About the Position:
The new Minister of Music has the opportunity to join a well-functioning worship culture at McGregor Baptist. Although a highly skilled musician and leader, the right candidate is also an effective disciple maker first. He thinks just as much about discipling those on the worship teams as he does about training them in their proficiency (although that is also important). He helps lead the church in authentic worship that puts the spotlight on Jesus and not on any one individual.
Summary: The Minister of Music is responsible to equip the saints to do the work of the Church: proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ, teaching the biblical revelation, engaging in music ministries, leading the church in worship, and providing leadership in these areas through music and worship.
What We Are Searching For/Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree (B.A. or equivalent) from four-year college or university. Graduate of a recognized seminary is preferred.
This educational requirement will be supplemented with two plus years of related experience/training or equivalent combination of education and experience. The ideal candidate will demonstrate appropriate theological, doctrinal and administrative skills.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge.
- A high level of musical knowledge with ability to lead and coach a variety of musical expressions, including orchestra, band, soloists, worship teams and special productions.
- Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in church worship ministry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current worship support technology (sound, lighting, video, etc.).
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Displays commitment to excellence.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Exhibit vocal performance and leadership proficiency.
Ethics & Integrity
- Exhibits biblical, ethical and moral behavior in everyday conduct.
Safety & Security
- Observes safety and security procedures and ensures the staff meets standards.
- Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines.
- Ensures use of equipment, media venues and materials properly and for MBC purposes only.
- Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
- Adheres to the safety policy and standards in the personnel handbook.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Gives and welcomes relevant feedback to improve performance.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Puts success of team above own interests.
- Assists in preparing the budget for approval.
- Works within approved budget.
- Demonstrates leadership in implementing the church's mission.
- Takes responsibility for staff's activities.
- Makes himself visible and available to staff.
- Provides regular feedback to develop and encourage personal growth.
- Maintains objectivity while keeping emotions under control and displays passion and optimism.
- Creates and communicates a clear and compelling vision that aligns with the church's mission.
- Effectively secures and engages lay volunteer members in church with all initiatives.
- Confronts difficult situations and seeks win/win situations to conflicts.
- Immediately confers with manager and appropriate lay leadership when conflict or adverse situations arise.
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension.
- Communicates openly and effectively with supervisors, lay leaders and members of the church, as appropriate.
About the Location:
Nestled alongside the Caloosahatchee River in Southwest Florida, Fort Myers is a midsize metro area. It has retained its small-town heritage though, with a charming downtown lined with shops and restaurants, many of which have remained through growth of the town over the years. Museums, parades, festivals, theaters, music, parks, historical sites and art galleries pepper the metro area and its social calendar. It is also prominently known for two of the nation’s most famed inventors and business leaders, Thomas Edison, and Henry Ford. Their homes are among popular attractions in the area, with both estates serving as museums. The Imaginarium Science Center, Historic Downtown, and the Murphy-Burroughs House add to the city’s unique culture and rich heritage.
The population spread of the city is highly diverse with 700,000 people occupying Lee County (U.S. Census, 2010). The residents of Fort Myers benefit from a lack of State income taxes. Fort Myers is a gateway to the Southwest Florida region, with its airport that serves as an international hub. Having been the epicenter of the economic downfall in 2007, the state of Florida has recovered well, and continues to progress. Among key industries contributing to the growing economy are, Lee Health Systems, Chico’s World Headquarters, Hertz World Headquarters, hospital networks, and real estate firms. Education is a priority in the State, where great schools are led by Fort Myers Senior High School that is ranked as one of the best public school in the nation, particularly due to its International Baccalaureate program (Newsweek Magazine). The K-12 school system offers many options from large home schooling communities to both Christian and public institutions.
Abounding with waterways, attractions, shopping, natural wonders and an ideal lifestyle for any age, the fast-growing Lee County offers a haven of opportunities to those who desire to make it home.
Interested in this position? Apply here.