Weekly Attendance: 900
Neighborhood: Johnstown, Pennsylvania
The role: The Director of Music Ministries at Our Mother of Sorrows will be a passionate person who has a heart of worship and a desire to lead the Music Ministry as it continues to grow and expand in all dimensions.
Meet Our Mother of Sorrows:
Our Mother of Sorrows is a Catholic Church located in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, with the mission to befriend all people, churched and unchurched, welcoming all to explore their own journey through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and to grow as a community of intentional disciples with a lifelong zeal.
Our Mother of Sorrows (OMOS) is located in the Westmont neighborhood of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, and is a part of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown. The parish was established on November 3, 1920. OMOS was the first new parish designated by Bishop John J. McCort. Bishop McCort chose the name “Our Mother of Sorrows” because of his love for the Blessed Mother and his affection for Our Mother of Sorrows Church in Philadelphia, where he had been pastor for more than 20 years. The church started with just 80 households and now claims almost 1,000 registered households in the parish community.
Our Mother of Sorrows has a rich history. Since the very beginning, the Sisters of Mercy instructed the children of the parish in small classes. The school began with just 23 students who were instructed in the “three Rs” as well as the teachings of Christ. By 1952, enrollment increased to 303 students. The first graduating class, the class of 1953, was comprised of 30 students. Over the years, enrollment continued to grow which prompted the construction of a new, state-of-the-art school. Construction was completed in 1958. Throughout the years, Our Mother of Sorrows has graduated almost 3,000 students. The school has become a very important part of the local community. Not only has OMOS been a leader in education, it has also set a standard for academic excellence. Since 2015, The Parochial school system transitioned to a regional school system with operations run by the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown.
About the Director of Music Ministries role:
The Director of Music Ministries at Our Mother of Sorrows will be a passionate person who has a heart of worship and a desire to lead the Music Ministry as it continues to grow and expand in all dimensions.
The ideal person will be gifted with a dynamic and versatile musical talent as well as an enthusiasm to enhance the prayerfulness of this faith community with vibrant and engaging music. He or she will be a faith-filled leader as we "make a joyful noise unto the Lord!”
The Director of Music Ministries will:
- Develop vision and plan for growth of the Music Ministry
- Provide oversight of all aspects of the Music Ministry
- Provide accompaniment for weekend Masses
- Direct, rehearse, and manage the choir
- Collaborate with the contemporary praise band
- Oversee scheduling and ongoing training of cantors
- Coordinate music selections with liturgy and message
- Coordinate and/or lead worship as necessary
- Assist in addressing sound system needs
- Be available to play weddings and funerals if needed
- Collaborate with staff on special projects as needed
What you bring:
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree - a concentration in music or a similar field is a great bonus but not a requirement.
The ideal candidate will have two years or more of ministry experience or music leadership experience. He will also be proficient on the piano and keys. Experience playing the guitar and/or organ are preferred, but not a requirement.
- Possess a strong sense of faith, a commitment to personal growth and development, and an active involvement in the life of the parish, whether Catholic or not.
- Show a willingness and ability to support and engage in the faith community and the congregation, especially in music style. At the same time, the ideal candidate will be influential and encouraging in expanding the musical horizons of the congregation.
- Be knowledgeable about a variety of musical styles, and have the ability to teach these varying styles to music groups and ministries.
- Be an effective interpersonal communicator and highly skilled in speaking, teaching, and writing.
- Possess the ability to cast vision and strategically move the Music Ministry in new directions and to higher levels of excellence.
- Show strong and graceful leadership with the church and congregation through change, and be an advocate for the church and the Music Ministry when changes are necessary, even amidst pushback.
- Possess a high level of technical talent.
What it's like to live in Johnstown, Pennsylvania:
Johnstown is a city in Cambria County, Pennsylvania, United States, 67 miles east of Pittsburgh. The population of the Johnstown Metro area is 130,000 with 18 high schools schools and is also home to five colleges, Pennsylvania Highlands Community College, Christ the Savior Seminary, the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, Mount Aloysius University, and St. Francis University.
The area includes many outdoor activities with lots of natural resources that make it perfect for the avid person who enjoys spending time outside - ski areas, white water rafting, beautiful hiking and more. In addition to plenty of outdoor activities, Johnstown is also an extremely affordable place to live and to own a house, with very low real estate costs. There is also a variety of arts with the Johnstown Symphony Orchestra, Shakespeare in the Park, Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center, and the Johnstown Folk Festival, in addition to many more venues. Recreation, various festivals and cultural outlets, schooling options, along with the low cost of living provides a great place to raise a family and settle down.
Think you're a great fit for this position? Become a candidate here.