Denomination: Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Weekly attendance: 425
Neighborhood: Los Angeles, California
The role: The role of the Executive Pastor is to assist the Lead Pastor in championing the vision of Sovereign Grace Church. This best candidate will help identify and act upon ideas that enable each staff member and ministry area to operate more effectively, and, in doing so, to better fulfill the mission of the church. In essence, they will be a vision-carrier, administrator, and coach.
Meet Sovereign Grace:
In 2006, Alex and Michele moved to Los Angeles to plant Sovereign Grace with the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference. After vision casting and fundraising for a year, the church launched in 2007 with 25 people. The goal of the church was to create a community for cynics; those who have left the church due to hurt, indifference, or just simply turned away from their faith in God and the Church. Sovereign Grace started and grew through word of mouth. No advertisements. No website. No mailers..
The church is largely made up of American-born Asian millennials, the vast majority between the ages of 25 and 35. The church does well at reaching formerly-churched non-Christians.
Sovereign Grace has truly grown with downtown Los Angeles. In 2006, the revitalization of downtown was just an idea taking shape. There were no supermarkets, few housing options, and no new restaurants. In just ten years, downtown has grown in the number of people who live, work, and play in the city. A city with no center could grow a new community. In their words, “We are proud to say we were able to grow with our neighborhood and look forward to growing with them in the years to come.”
About the Executive Pastor:
The role of the Executive Pastor is to assist the Lead Pastor in championing the vision of Sovereign Grace Church. This best candidate will help identify and act upon ideas that enable each staff member and ministry area to operate more effectively, and, in doing so, to better fulfill the mission of the church. In essence, they will be a vision-carrier, administrator, and coach.
The Executive Pastor will:
- Be directly responsible for managing and overseeing each ministry director as it relates to ministry and operational activities.
- Be responsible for implementing hiring and dismissal processes in coordination with the Lead Pastor.
- Regularly meet with the Lead Pastor to clarify vision, goals, and strategy.
- Work in partnership with the Lead Pastor, Session, and directors of each ministry area in developing strategies for carrying out the vision and ministry plan of Sovereign Grace Church.
What you bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Executive Pastor:
An undergraduate degree is expected, and a master’s degree would be preferred. The ideal candidate will have some type of formal Bible training.
This role requires strong administrative giftedness, along with excellent verbal and written skills, so the successful candidate must possess the ability to think creatively and innovatively regarding how to help the local church and its staff as effectively as possible. The successful candidate must be a “strategist,” progress and results oriented, and capable of turning ideas into action.
The ideal candidate:
- Has leadership experience in a larger church. Alternatively, he or she might have leadership experience in business with volunteer leadership involvement in a church.
- Having a background in an urban context is a huge plus.
- Possesses extensive pastoral or life experience in leadership development, team building, delegation, and organization/administration.
- Has a history of leadership, complemented by a track record of setting and sustaining a church culture.
- Has the capability to design and implement strategic systems to facilitate steps for spiritual transformation to occur.
- Shows a history of coaching and developing staff, complemented with the ability to work on a team towards specific goals.
- Possesses the ability to find clarity through complexities.
- Is able to make conclusive, difficult decisions after the appropriate input and research.
- Has demonstrated the ability to execute and manage groups/projects, and stick with them through completion.
- Has strong oral and written communication skills.
- Exhibits a meaningful, growing relationship with Christ.
- Is highly relational and approachable.
- Is a good steward of both people and processes.
- Possesses an upstanding character of integrity and credibility, guided by a sound set of ethical principles.
- Has humility that communicates through leadership endeavors.
- Shows a high degree of dedication to minister to the church through this position.
- Has energy and readiness to take on significant challenges.
- Likely leans reformed in personal theology.
- If married, spouse will have a vested interest and involvement in the ministry of Sovereign Grace Church.
- Is committed to the vision and mission of Sovereign Grace.
What it's like to live in Los Angeles, California:
Los Angeles, Spanish for "The Angels,” is the second-most populous city in the United States, after New York City, and the most populous city in the Western United States. With an estimated population of four million, Los Angeles is the largest and most populous city in the state of California and the cultural, financial, and commercial center of Southern California.
Los Angeles is often billed as the "Creative Capital of the World", because one in every six of its residents works in a creative industry and there are more artists, writers, filmmakers, actors, dancers and musicians living and working in Los Angeles than any other city at any time in history.
Sovereign Grace is located in downtown Los Angeles which has been undergoing a significant revitalization. Just 10 years ago people only worked in downtown. The city successfully implemented a plan to create a place where people live, work, and play. There are more living units, businesses, restaurants, attractions, and culture in downtown than ever before with more coming each year.
Los Angeles is also home to 11 top level professional sports teams, art museums and galleries, and unique dining opportunities. The culture of Los Angeles is rich and busy. All in all, Los Angeles is an ideal city for any couple or family to live.
Think you're a great fit for this position? Become a candidate here.