About the Organization:
St. Mark’s is a Lutheran congregation affiliated with Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ (LCMC). Its Lutheran history and heritage date back more than 125 years to 1886, when the congregation was founded. Since its beginnings, the church’s source for all teaching has remained rooted in the Bible, the inspired Word of God. Today, St. Mark’s Lutheran Church is a relatively large congregation with approximately 2,000 partners in ministry. It is a welcoming environment that offers a closely-knit small group community, which provides authentic relational connectivity in a large church setting. It continues to be a vibrant, growing community of faith.
About the Position:
The Worship Leader position will offer direct oversight as well as be the primary leader for the Celebration and Impact services as well as providing oversight of the traditional worship service.
In the role of Worship Leader, the candidate will lead members and guests of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in contemporary-style corporate worship through music. The primary goal of this role is to lead the congregation into an undeniable experience with God, inviting and teaching people to experience His presence, and fostering a heart of worship within the congregation, while effectively executing a role in worship leadership.
What We Are Searching For / Qualifications:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Worship Leader:
General Competencies & Requirements
- Preferably a 4-year degree from an accredited institution that has equipped candidate for vocational ministry.
- A manager-leader with the strong ability to work in a multi-faceted environment.
- Skills leading generationally diverse teams.
- Self-directed with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Identifying potential and developing people and their skills.
- A strong ability to communicate and implement vision
- Building teams and developing future leadership.
- Skilled in written and verbal communication.
- A high sense of attention to detail.
- A strong collaborative nature.
- Practice discernment, wisdom, order, and structure in leading people.
- Personify spirit of flexibility with willingness to accept, navigate, and lead through multiple responsibilities and change.
Specific Skills & Experience
- Proven experience and maturity in musicianship complemented with cultural relevancy when leading congregation in worship.
- Exceedingly skilled in worship leading vocally, and preferably on guitar or keyboard.
- Commit to the vision, values, and essentials of St. Mark’s and the role of Worship Leader.
- Lead, coach, and hold individuals of the ministry accountable through relational leadership.
- Demonstrated musical competency, with the ability to utilize musical talent and technical skills to lead and direct band and worship team.
- Humility and an attitude of servanthood that is visible both upfront on stage and one-on-one with others.
- Active and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ with a strong biblical foundation evidenced by action, attitude, and behavior.
- Strong leadership, shepherding, teaching, communication, organizational, administrative, and delegation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for interaction with the congregation, staff, and worship team.
- A chemistry that ‘fits’ with the ethos and culture of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church and staff.
- A demonstrated level of integrity, guided by a sound set of moral principles.
- An active prayer and devotional life.
- A teachable spirit; eager to be coached and mentored.
- If married, spouse has a vested interest in the overarching ministry of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church.
About the Location:
Marion is a part of the greater Cedar Rapids metro area that is filled with a diverse selection of restaurants, unique theatres, retail, nightlife hot spots and fantastic cultural experiences. A relaxed, active lifestyle is commonplace. Access to the best-rated schools, quality hospitals, doctors and healthcare providers is just part of what makes the community a healthy one. As part of the “Cultural Corridor” which includes Iowa City and the University of Iowa, Marion is a community in which the arts are cultivated and valued.
A vibrant urban hometown in the heart of east central Iowa, the area is known for being one of the leading manufacturing expanses in the United States and a leading bioprocessing and food ingredient center in North America. A thriving economy anchored by tech giant Rockwell Collins and the industrial sector facilitates the Cedar Rapids tax base, helping the region attract and retain talent. Cedar Rapids most recent national rankings include:
- #1 Best place in the US to Raise a Child (SmartAsset, 2016 & 2015)
- One of Top 100 Best Places to Live (Livability, 2016)
- Third Happiest City in America (Zippia, 2016)
- One of the Top 10 Affordable Places to Live (Livability, 2016)
- One of the Best Places for Business & Careers (Forbes, 2012)
Interested in this position? Apply here.