Weekly Attendance: 1260
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
The Chapel is seeking a campus pastor for their Oaks location. The Chapel is a multi-site church with live preaching at both of its locations. This position would lead The Oaks campus under the umbrella of The Chapel and the leadership of the senior pastor, Kevin McKee, and the executive pastor, Eric Allred. The Oaks location presently has over 300 weekly attendees.
About the Organization:
In 1972, The Chapel on the Campus was established in Baton Rouge by a group of people who were concerned for the spiritual needs of students on the LSU campus. Over the years, The Chapel not only succeeded, it thrived—growing beyond its own expectations in size and impact. Its success has been its commitment to its founding vision to share the Good News of Jesus on the campus, in the community through ministry, and around the world through missions.
In the early 2000’s, The Chapel’s impact was moving beyond the campus. In response, the elders initiated a stewardship campaign to provide funding to revitalize campus ministry and to relocate part of the congregation to a new facility. Ministry to collegians was enhanced by starting a Sunday evening service called Refuge 7:37 and opening a free coffee shop named Common Grounds. Community groups, leadership training, and mission opportunities helped students mature in their faith and adopt a global mission mindset. College ministry has established ongoing student involvement in China and the Czech Republic and in local missions to serve the poor and needy. As part of the strategy to relocate some of the congregation, a temporary Chapel location was established at The Dunham School in June 2003. This temporary location found a permanent home when The Chapel received The Oaks Community Church and merged ministries in October 2006. This second location is named The Chapel in the Oaks.
Although The Chapel has changed from the early days when it had no building, no set place to meet and only one staff member, one thing has remained the same—The Chapel’s ongoing commitment to glorify God by introducing people to salvation through Jesus Christ and helping them develop into committed disciples who CELEBRATE, CONNECT, and CONTRIBUTE.
The Chapel, under the leadership of Dr. Kevin McKee who became Senior Pastor in 2011, looks toward 2020 with renewed vision to pray, prepare people for ministry, promote service in the community, and plant churches. The Vision 2020 campaign will focus on specific objectives and goals as they seek to become a church of people who proclaim Jesus wherever he leads them.
About the Position:
The Oaks Site Pastor’s main responsibility is to champion The Chapel’s mission “To Proclaim Jesus Wherever He Leads Us.” This is accomplished primarily by leading the Oaks site, championing the use of the location’s ministry efforts to reach the community, discipling those who call the Oaks their church home, and spreading The Chapel’s secret sauce of reaching the world through the campus.
What We Are Searching For / Qualifications:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Oaks Site Pastor:
Education & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree is required, although a master’s degree or advanced degree is expected.
- The ideal candidate will have five to 10 years of experience in ministry or church leadership, and preferably at least two years of leadership in leading at a multisite church.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- A heart for God that is evidenced by proven character and a spiritual-mindedness that understands that ‘apart from Christ, we can do nothing.’
- A strong marriage and family life visible to others.
- A shepherd’s temperament; a servant-leader with a mentor attitude and inclination.
- Strong interpersonal skills—ability to communicate persuasively and compassionately, both orally and in writing.
- Strong biblical foundation for wise management in a church setting.
- Able to establish and maintain appropriate standards for the accomplishment of ministry in a way that honors both God and people.
- Personal initiative and diligence, which produces follow-through in tasks.
- Solid biblical/theological convictions which are aligned with The Chapel leadership, Statement of Faith, Ministry Values and Core Values as stated in the Constitution of The Chapel.
- A willingness to grow and adapt to the inevitable changes found in a growing local church.
- Meets the qualifications of an elder as outlined in Scripture (1 Tim. 3 and Titus 1).
- Maintains a teachable and open attitude.
About the Location:
The Baton Rouge area, also known as the "Capital Area," is the middle ground of South Louisiana cultures, having a mix of Cajun and Creole Catholics and Baptists of the Florida Parishes and South Mississippi.
With a prime, central location—just an hour away from New Orleans and Lafayette—Baton Rouge is the perfect city to explore the eclectic culture of this amazing state. Nicknamed the ‘Red Stick,’ the city’s rich past as an ocean port and center for antebellum commerce, add spice to the local character. There are many points of interest along the shaded streets with their gracious old homes. The landscape is unique to the state, with lush wet forests of evergreen, live oak, and magnolia trees growing in the area. Especially to the west, there are areas of mixed agricultural use, sugar plantations, and marshland, with areas of woodland and pine forest to the north.
A colorful political history is deeply entwined in the culture of Baton Rouge; it can be found both in the storied past of local dealmakers, showcased at the Old Louisiana State Capitol and in the political history that is being written now inside the art deco skyscraper that serves as the current capitol. As home to the main campus of Louisiana State University and several smaller colleges, the city buzzes with the energy of youth while holding fast to its traditions in Southern lifestyle and historic sites. LSU's home football games dominate the fall social calendar when fans perfect the art of tailgating and pack the immense Tiger Stadium. A revival is underway in the city center where attractions range from a riverfront casino to the USS Kidd floating museum to the ultra-contemporary Shaw Center for the Arts, which clusters an art museum, gallery spaces, theaters and restaurants in the heart of downtown.
Interested in this job? Apply here.