Weekly attendance: 588
Neighborhood: Coppell, Texas
The role: The Pastor of Student Ministries will provide effective leadership for and give direction to the Student Ministries (middle school and high school students and their parents).
Meet Valley Ranch:
VRBC is a growing, multi-ethnic, multi-generational church with a vision of reaching 56,000 people in a five-mile radius who are not yet connected to Christ or a local church. The communities we serve, Valley Ranch and Coppell, are beautifully diverse, with people from a wide variety of ethnic, socio-economic, language, age, and religious backgrounds. Yet, these communities are also filled with many people who are tragically disconnected from God and each other.
This is why we are fully committed to our mission of inviting diverse and disconnected people to passionately follow Jesus together. The way we accomplish this is by engaging together in weekly worship services, grow groups, and serve teams, and living invite lifestyles. Collectively, we can be described by six core values: Biblically Rooted (shaped and directed by God’s Word), Storytellers (celebrating God’s work in our lives), Under Construction (more like Jesus every day), Hilariously Generous (serving and giving with joy), Happily Third (God first, others second), and Different Together (unique, yet one). Presently, VRBC averages 600 attenders on Sunday and reaches 80 students and 80 children weekly.
Our Student Ministry, Refuge, seeks to equip students to love Jesus and live in response to Him every day. In Psalm 62, we read that God alone is our Rock and our Refuge. He is our only source of hope and salvation. We desire for all students to discover for themselves the Refuge that is Jesus Christ. It’s by creating a safe, fun, and inviting environment in which all students feel welcomed and appreciated that they begin to open themselves up to the Holy Spirit’s redemptive work in their lives. In response to the grace the students receive, we encourage and equip them to worship, grow, serve, and invite together with our entire church.
About the Pastor of Student Ministries:
The Pastor of Student Ministries will provide effective leadership for and give direction to the Student Ministries (middle school and high school students and their parents). The Pastor will develop and grow a leadership team and ministry program for the students in keeping with the mission and strategy of Valley Ranch Baptist Church (VRBC).
The Pastor of Student Ministries will:
- Cast a compelling vision for the Student Ministries in line with VRBC’s vision of reaching 56,000 people in a five-mile radius who are not yet connected to Christ or a local church.
- Engage a growing number of students to worship, grow, serve, and invite, and disciple them and their parents to know, imitate, and share Jesus.
- Enlist, encourage, equip, and empower a growing team of adult and student leaders who help coordinate the Refuge’s discipleship activities/events and outreach initiatives.
- Ensure all Student Ministry events are safe, fun, relevant, and inviting.
What you bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Pastor of Student Ministries:
A bachelor’s degree is required for this position. A seminary degree, ordination, or further theological training is a great bonus.
The ideal candidate will have at least two years of proven experience in cross-cultural ministry. They will have demonstrated results in growing a Student Ministry, as well as proven effectiveness in recruiting, motivating, and equipping adult Student Ministry leaders and building successful teams.
- Meets the biblical standards of a pastor/leader (1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9)
- Has a vision for growing VRBC’s Student Ministries, in line with VRBC’s vision of reaching the 56,000 people in Valley Ranch and Coppell who are not connected to Christ or a local church, and us therefore being a multi-ethnic and multi-generational church family
- Is an engaging teacher who speaks in relevant and connecting ways in large and small group settings
- Affirms our Staff Culture Team Commitments and stated Church Values
- Has the ability to lead and manage a staff team and build a lay leadership team
- If applicable, has a supportive spouse who is willing to commit to church membership, join a grow group, serve in an area of giftedness at church, and invite others to do the same
- Has an infectious devotion to Jesus, the Word of God, and the local church
- Has a calling, love, and passion for Student Ministry—this passion would drive the vision and direction of our Student Ministries
- Is humble, faithful, and wise—especially in handling difficult issues relevant to students/parents/community members
- Is relatable to students and seen by them as relevant, authentic, and fun
- Can recruit, lead, inspire, and equip leaders/volunteers and create a thriving Student Ministry leadership team
- Can effectively communicate in large and small group settings to various audiences (students, leaders, parents, and congregation) and give transformational messages based on God’s Word
- Is actively cultivating relationships in the community that mirror Jesus’ leaving the 99 to seek the lost one and are able to overcome barriers (such as cultural or religious differences) to build relational bridges to lost and lonely people
What it's like to live in Coppell, Texas:
VRBC is situated on the dividing line between two communities, Valley Ranch and Coppell. They are two growing and diverse suburbs of Dallas, Texas, that offer exceptional schools, affordable homes, family-friendly environments, world-class dining and shopping options, and close proximity to tons of fun activities throughout the Metroplex. Nobody beats our Mexican food, barbecue, or Dallas Cowboys (okay, sometimes the “boys-in-blue” lose)! And if ever you get tired of the food and fun activities (which we doubt you will), it only takes 15 minutes to get to DFW airport—which can take you almost anywhere in the world.
The ultra-modern and sophisticated Dallas metroplex attracts worldwide travelers, making it the number one visitor and leisure destination in Texas. Throughout the city, one will enjoy the best shopping in the southwest, four and five-diamond/star hotels and restaurants, the largest urban arts district in the nation, 14 entertainment districts, and much more.
Its pioneering spirit is alive and well, and the philanthropic contributions from its many residents continue to enrich the community and quality of life. It is the ninth-largest city and part of the fourth-largest metropolitan area in the nation. The city is home to notable school districts and nationally prominent universities such as Southern Methodist University (SMU), Dallas Theological Seminary (DTS), and Dallas Baptist University (DBU). The city also has an incredibly thriving business community with sixteen Fortune 500 companies, including Exxon Mobil at number two on the list.
Think you're a great fit for this job? Become a candidate here.