About the Organization:
Westminster Presbyterian Church began in 1974, when a group of committed and visionary followers of Christ stepped out in faith to start a new congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America. From the beginning, the congregation has been committed to the Bible and to holistic ministry. The church has a long legacy of faithful and long-tenured leaders and is now moving into the new future that God has planned.
In the ensuing years, Westminster has sought to bless the community and the world by proclaiming the gospel here and abroad, establishing a retirement community, a Christian School, a community foundation, a sports ministry, and an arts academy. Now, perhaps more than ever before, we want to serve the community God has placed us in by serving God where we live, work, and play.
Westminster has a heart for sharing the love of Jesus Christ with their surrounding neighbors and beyond and is very active in serving their local community. The church has been experiencing new growth with young families and children under the leadership of Pastor Mike Honeycutt. It ministers to a very musically diverse congregation and is looking forward to the new growth as they embrace the needed leadership in the traditional and contemporary worship offerings. Westminster airs both of its services on a local cable TV station and is a wonderful ministry to those who cannot attend their physical campus. The traditional service is aired lived and the contemporary service is broadcast on a delay at 9:00 pm. Westminster is blessed with a talented and committed 13+-piece orchestra, 40+ member choir, band and vocalist team that serves on a weekly basis in all three venues provided by the church.
Denomination: Presbyterian Church in America (PCA)
Location: Rock Hill, SC
About the Position:
The Music Minister at Westminster Presbyterian Church carries out the vision of the church to “better our world by following Jesus,” through the traditional and contemporary corporate worship experiences and the leadership of the Westminster Academy of the Arts.
What We Are Searching For / Qualifications:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Music Minister:
A graduate degree with formal music training is preferred.
The ideal candidate for this role will have prior experience leading a large choir and/or orchestra, with 5 years or more of worship ministry experience.
They will have familiarity with both traditional and contemporary worship styles, leading staff, choir and musicians, and be technologically and social media savvy.
- Professes a personal faith in and displays evidence of a growing relationship with Jesus.
- Pastoral heart for people and the desire to engage people in meaningful worship experiences
- Understanding of the current trends and modernization in the Reformed worship styles while maintaining the conservative biblical truths in our music
- Yields to the Bible as the inspired word of God and the authority for all of life and ministry.
- Willing to pursue membership at Westminster Presbyterian Church.
- Values collaborative leadership between the traditional and contemporary worship venues that cultivates a grace-centered work environment.
- Communicates well with church members, elders, deacons, and families in the community.
- Possesses broad competence in music, worship, and the arts resulting from intensive study and professional training.
- Possesses leadership skills demonstrated through the ability to manage others graciously so that their gifts are developed and flourish in their callings.
- Possess the ability to lead, motivate, and oversee worship department staff and musicians.
- Leads people into worship experience that is engaging to the heart and soul of the congregants
- Unifying leader for three different services with two different styles of traditional and contemporary and for one diverse team
- Able to recruit and empower interns
- Management experience with staff and large volunteer teams
- Pastoral care for the music ministry
- Understanding of the modernizing of hymns and current trends in the traditional worship styles
- Build and nurture the music ministry through pastoral care and advocacy for resources and specific needs, taking initiative where appropriate.
- Visionary leader of leaders and is a team player and enjoys serving the team of the staff and the music ministry
- Ability to bridge the gap between the traditional and the contemporary services
- Desire for reaching people with Gospel Centered truth
- Exciting person with lots of energy and contagious enthusiasm
- Leads through personal transparency and cultivates emotionally healthy spirituality
About the Location:
Rock Hill is the largest city in York County, South Carolina, United States and the fifth-largest city in the state. It is also the fourth-largest city of the Charlotte metropolitan area, behind Charlotte, Concord, and Gastonia. There are about 66,154 people and 16,059 families residing in the city.
Rock Hill, South Carolina is the best of the mountains and the ocean – it is two hours from the mountains and three hours to the beach. As a suburb of Charlotte and two hours from Clemson and the University of South Carolina, it offers the benefits of a large metro town with the feel of a small college town.
There are so many outdoor opportunities for the whole family in Rock Hill – lakes, mountains, beaches, and hiking trails abound. Because of its location, Rock Hill emphasizes recreation and highly values recreational activities. In addition to outdoor recreation, Rock Hill also has the top BMX track in the world, and is the location of the World Disc Golf Championships, and the Manchester Meadows soccer tournament.
Rock Hill's economy was once dominated by the textile industry, and the restructuring of that industry in moving jobs overseas caused a decline in the local economy at one time. Over the past decade, Rock Hill has transitioned to a relatively strong manufacturing workforce.
A new initiative of the church is to reach students at Winthrop University – though it is traditionally a suitcase college with many students going home on the weekend, a campus culture outreach program and church presence for students attending the college has been developing.
Schools in Rock Hill are fantastic and family oriented. In addition to top-notch school systems, property taxes are lower, and buildings are more affordable, making the city an ideal place for young families.
Rock Hill is growing and will continue to grow, making it a charming southern town that is a great place to live.
Charlotte, NC is the largest city in the state of North Carolina and is the county seat of Mecklenburg County. In 2013, the estimated population of Charlotte according to the U.S. Census Bureau was 792,862, making it the 16th largest city in the United States based on population. The Charlotte metropolitan area ranks 23rd largest in the US and had a 2013 population of 2,335,358.
Charlotte has grown to be a major US financial center, and is currently the second largest banking center in the US, after New York. It is also a major center for the motorsports industry, housing numerous NASCAR offices as well as the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
The school systems are excellent and have won numerous awards. Charlotte is home to a number of famous universities and colleges such as Charlotte School of Law, Johnson & Wales University, and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Davidson College is located in the metropolitan area and is ranked as one of the top 10 liberal arts colleges in the country.
Charlotte is also home to four professional sports organizations: Carolina Panthers (football), Charlotte Hornets (basketball), Charlotte Knights (baseball), and the Charlotte Hounds (lacrosse).
The city of Charlotte is predominantly Protestant and is the birthplace of Evangelist Billy Graham. It is also the home of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Wycliff Bible Translators.
Family life resembles most towns in a major metro area of the United States. Excellent schools, sports, options for eating out, and cultural opportunities abound for families who wish to live in the area.
Interested in this job? Apply here.