Our mission is loving Jesus, becoming like Jesus, and sharing Jesus.
About the Organization:
Westside began in 1976, as 29 people started Quivira Road Baptist Church, a small neighborhood community of faith with a heart to reach families for Jesus. In 1994 a spiritual awakening through Promise Keepers ignited a new passion to pray for and reach the community, and the church began to grow. By 1997 a growing congregation of 275 embraced the Purpose Driven outreach movement, changing its name to Westside Family Church. In 1999 Westside completed a new church building and opened its doors to its community, and soon became one of the top 20 fastest growing churches in America.
Over the past several years Westside Family Church has accelerated its focus on equipping authentic, submitted, Christ-following disciples who reach into their communities with Christ’s truth and love. Key to this effort has been equipping members to reach into their circles with God’s love, planting churches, campuses, and missional communities. Westsiders have built goodwill by serving their city and world, and their impact and witness continues to grow as God leads them deeper into accomplishing the Westside mission of loving Jesus, becoming like Jesus, and sharing Jesus.
Size - 5,200
Denomination - Southern Baptist heritage
Location - Lenexa, KS (Johnson County)
About the Position:
The Lead Pastor serves as Westside’s primary teacher, visionary, public congregational connection, and champion of congregational growth, engagement, and healthy teamwork. The Lead Pastor position carries significant visibility and influence, while sharing the weight of the church’s general leadership responsibilities with the Pastoral Elders. The Lead Pastor co-leads the Executive Team, working in close partnership with the Executive Pastor, and in collaboration with the specialized Pastors on the Executive Team. Key to Westside’s culture at every level is the equipping and empowerment of its people in their faith and calling as engaged members of the body of Christ.
Success in this role will primarily be determined by the following, among others:
- Evidence of church-wide growth momentum.
- Instilled desire to be in God's presence and His Word among the body of believers.
- Stories of life transformation occurring across WFC.
- Continued growth, expansion, and impact in local outreach and global missions.
- Increasing attendance at Lenexa Campus.
- Multiple service options.
- Growing number of church plants.
- Strong and stable Student and Kids Ministries.
- Demonstrating qualities that draw guests and attendees to the church.
- Increasing need for physical spaces as a result of growth.
- Championing and expanding the church's mission of loving Jesus, becoming like Jesus, and sharing Jesus.
What We Are Searching For/Qualifications:
Undergraduate degree required. Seminary preferred.
This key position on Westside’s team requires a candidate with a proven track record as an experienced executive level leader and teacher, who also understands and appreciates the importance of team. This Lead Pastor position differs from a traditional Senior Pastor role in that it requires a leader who thrives in an empowering, collaborative, and consensus-building team leadership environment.
The following describes many of the characteristics and skills of the ideal candidate for the position of Lead Pastor:
- Shepherd, Apostle, Teacher (according to Fivefold ministry definitions).
- Proven high-capacity executive leader.
- Gifted teacher, communicator.
- Possesses strong shepherding, teaching, and vision casting gifts.
- Collaborative, team player.
- Likely an extrovert, loves being around people.
- Has a track record of growth.
- Served in a large church (prefer 2,000+).
- Strong organizational skills, complemented with excellent strategic and management leadership.
- Able to make conclusive, difficult decisions.
About the Location:
Westside is located in western Johnson County with its 20 incorporated cities that include beautiful Lenexa, Overland Park, and Shawnee. Johnson County is Kansas City’s metropolitan area’s growth engine, boasting nationally ranked schools, a low crime rate, high quality neighborhoods, a low cost of living, and a wealth of cultural and entertainment amenities. With “heartland” values and a strong family focus, Johnson County is a great place to live and raise a family. Westside’s neighboring cities, Overland Park (9th best), and Olathe (57th best), were selected in Money magazine’s 2012 annual Best Places to Live in America, and Yelp/Women’s Health just named Overland Park as a Top 15 “Wellthiest” City in America as a community ranking high in happiness and health.
Johnson County comprises 19% of Kansas’ population (584,400), with population growth of 7.4% over the past 5 years, median household income of $76,113, and family income of 90,380. Johnson County ranks among the most highly educated in the nation, and offers families top ranked schools (43 National Blue Ribbon Schools), and countless activities for kids. Johnson County’s economy is growing, with labor and employment conditions among the best in the United States.
Johnson County residents also enjoy a wide variety of recreational and sports opportunities. Within the Kansas City Metropolitan Area there are over 50 museums and historic sites, 65,000 acres of park land, and 65 golf courses (28 in Johnson County), and 14 lakes within a three-hour drive that provide abundant opportunities for families to enjoy boating, water skiing, fishing, and camping.
Additional information from Westside Family Church on their Lead Pastor Search.
Interested in this position? Apply here.