Denomination: American Baptist Church
Weekly Attendance: 988
Location: Kent, WA
The Role: Chief Operations Officer
Meet New Beginnings Christian Fellowship:
New Beginnings Christian Fellowship held its first public worship service on August 7, 2005, in the Cafeteria of the Renton High School. The Rev. Dr. Leslie D. Braxton presided over that inaugural service. While making extemporaneous remarks, Pastor Braxton spoke the words that would quickly become the New Beginnings Ministry Motto:
No Matter What Has Gone on in Your Life,
God Is Always Ready to Start Over!
Three hundred and twenty-nine people came forward to establish their church membership with New Beginnings Christian Fellowship, and the work began. Since that auspicious beginning, NBFC has purchased 12 acres of land and built a state-of-the-art facility with an 800-seat worship center, classrooms, full court gym and fitness center, and a youth facility, all while providing ample parking and room to grow.
New Beginnings Christian Fellowship has grown to over 1,500 active members. The hallmarks of our ministry include:
- Spirit-filled worship, featuring preaching that emphasizes both individual salvation and social justice along with creative use of music, dance, and drama in the worship experience.
- A menu of community outreach programs that includes an aggressive ministry to the hungry and the homeless, helping people escape chemical addiction (Celebrate Recovery), professional development for young adults (SHIFT), assistance and advocacy for women and children escaping domestic violence, and emergency assistance for families and individuals in crisis.
- Promotion of educational excellence at all levels from pre-k through post-graduate study. This includes a Scholarship Ministry that awards 100k+ annually for people seeking college and professional degrees.
- Promotion of physical and mental well-being through a variety of fitness programs, nutritional education, and collaboration with mental health providers.
- Zealous commitment to seniors, children, youth, and young adults; and the promotion of intergenerational partnerships at every level of church life and operation.
The New Beginnings Christian Fellowship was created and is being formed by the Holy Spirit to be a cutting-edge, Christ-Centered 21st-century ministry that effectively addresses the needs of the total person. We continue to move forward in our service to Christ as a growing and vibrant faith community that is passionate in our worship, vigorous in our Christian labors, sacrificial in our giving, committed to the well-being of our community, and uncompromising in the pursuit of God’s justice.
About the Chief Operations Officer:
The New Beginning Christion Fellowship church is looking for a seasoned and Christ led Chief Operations Officer to oversee the strategic and operational direction, execution, and performance of NBCF. The COO will actively engage in providing exceptional delivery and oversight for each facet of the church's operations. The COO will oversee all operation functions of the church including Capital Projects, IT, Finance, Human Resources, Facilities, Multimedia Services, Food Services, Communications and Marketing, and the physical NBCF campus operations staff. With a focus on operations excellence, a high degree of emotional intelligence and the commitment to lead with Christ, the COO will be instrumental in the continued success of NBCF mission, vision and values. The COO reports directly to the Senior Pastor (CEO) and is a member of the executive team.
The Chief Operations Officer's Responsibilities Include:
In this role, you will be an exceptional leader and partner, collaborating across NBCF to ensure the church's operations are exceptional and the mission to win souls for Christ is never compromised.
- Provide day-to-day leadership presence for operations, overseeing all internal operational functions of NBCF
- Provide leadership and guidance in the areas of finance, human resources, legal, current and future campus planning (operations), administration, food services, information technology, media, facilities, parking lot and related matters impacting NBCF
- Collaborate with Senior Pastor, Board of Directors, and other members of the Executive Team in determining the strategic roadmap for accomplishing organizational goals; translate key goals into time-keyed objectives.
- In conjunction with the Senior Pastor, develop annual facility and operating plans and corresponding budgets including staffing and other needed operating resources to achieve NBCF strategic plan and goals.
- Oversee and develop NCBFs capital project budget proposals
- Efficiently project manage or oversees project management of initiatives related to facilities, operations and/or capital projects.
- Develop a system/operation that fosters a world class working (serving) environment at NBCF Church, taking great care of the people who serve on our staff and attracting talent to help us grow
- Promote a culture of high performance that values mentoring, coaching and developing talent
- In partnership with SR Pastor develop forecasts and budgets, oversee budgeting process, manage financial systems, financial analysis, overseeing bookkeeping and accounting staff, reporting and accountability, financial and banking relationships, responsibility for audit process, monthly financial report to Senior Executive Team, financial and budget support to NBCF Church teams
- Oversee all vendor relationship with the church (internet, phone systems, office equipment, utilities, etc.), including tenant relationship, management negotiation and contract terms
- Assure that our infrastructure and day to day operations at NBCF Church are meeting the current and future needs of our organization including optimizing weekend solutions and having a highly functioning relationship across all departments and ministries
- Lead the team to help acquire, build out and maintain facilities that provide environments that support the vision of NBCF Church
- Oversee and manage vaccination clinics or related partners who may utilize NBCF facilities and resources.
- Other duties as owned, managed or assigned.
What You Bring:
Education & Experience
- 10+ years of professional experience in a fast paced and rapidly growing nonprofit/church or operations environment
- 7+ years of leadership in a nonprofit/church or operation environment
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required
- A Master's degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or Organizational Leadership would be a bonus.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively to lead a complex organization and utilizing best practices in management to ensure shared success
- Significant experience developing and leading teams and working as an effective team member
- Proven success leading a collaborative strategic planning process and ensuring its effective implementation
- Proven track record of operational excellence and execution
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning new systems, subject matters, and processes quickly
- A self-motivated, organized, and strategic thinker who can manage multiple ongoing projects at once
- Highly organized with an ability to adapt to changing needs and excellent attention to detail
- A flexible, adaptable professional in the face of ambiguity - you’re not afraid to take an intelligent risk or change direction
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written; ability to work effectively with people at all levels of the organization to create buy-in and a sense of teamwork
- Love for Jesus and his word, a heart for people and drama free attitude
- Ability to adapt and have a high degree of cultural awareness, learn and understand NBCF church environment with the ability to thrive, create community relationships and partnership and represent the interest of NBCF.
What it's Like to Live in Kent, Washington:
Located in Kings County, Washington, the city of Kent is part of the resounding Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue metropolitan area. Kent’s population is 136,000, making it the fourth-largest municipality in greater Seattle and the sixth-largest in Washington state. Kent has easily accessible transportation via the King County Metro Transit to many desired destinations, including downtown Seattle. There, you’ll find plenty of unique entertainment options and attractions, including the Space Needle, Sky View Observatory, Museum of Pop Culture, Olympic National Park, and much more! A wide variety of tours, adventure quests, and outdoor explorations are hosted regularly for you and your family to enjoy all that Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue Metropolitan area has to offer!
Think you're a great fit for this role? Become a candidate below.